Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-23-2005, 03:06 PM   #1
FSUScotsman
Herf God

Alonso to join McLaren in 2007

World champion Fernando Alonso to join McLaren in 2007
The Associated Press
Updated: 9:21 a.m. ET Dec. 19, 2005

WOKING, England - Formula One champion Fernando Alonso agreed Monday to join the McLaren-Mercedes team in 2007.

The Spaniard won seven races with Renault this season to become the youngest driver to take the title at age 24. Alonso ended Ferrari driver Michael Schumacher's run of five world championships in a row.

Monday's announcement came less than a week after mobile phone company Vodafone said it would sponsor McLaren from 2007, ending its contract with Ferrari after next season.

"Obviously I will be sad to leave Renault but sometimes possibilities come along which are just too good to miss," Alonso said in a statement. "I'm pleased that we are able to make this announcement now, as it will allow my current team and I to focus 100 percent on defending the world championship next year."

Finland's Kimi Raikkonen and Colombia's Juan Pablo Montoya are McLaren's current drivers. Raikkonen finished second in the driver's championship this year, while Montoya was fourth.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10529287/
The only good terrorist is a dead terrorist!!!!
FSUScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote