Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:43 AM   #11
KatDad
Herf God

Not being much of a baseball fan anymore, this is the long, mostly empty space between the end of college basketball and the ramp up to college and NFL football in August.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave

Last edited by KatDad; 05-31-2019 at 07:01 AM.
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:25 AM   #12
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Blues vs. Bruins in the Stanley Cup final.
That Blues' net minder Jordan Binnington is a rookie, and damn he is AFIRE this entire playoffs. He has been a monster.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:22 PM   #13
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Indy had the most spectacular crash and the closest finish in many years.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #14
Sancho Panza
Floridays
Herf God

Smile

College Baseball has been pretty good.

William Faulkner, Intruder in the Dust 1948
Sancho Panza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:50 AM   #15
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Yes, yes it has. The State vs. LSU series has been compelling to be certain.
LSU does enough at the SEC tournament to ensure hosting a regional. NCAA likes Baton Rouge as it sells out early and often.

UVa wins the Division I lacrosse championship in Philadelphia.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Old 05-29-2019, 12:38 PM   #16
Gene
Club Member

Oh boy, where to start?

As I've gotten older, I've come to realize how unimportant sports is on my everyday life (not to mention what a con it's become).

As a result I haven't set foot in the Garden to see the Knicks or the Rangers in something like 12-13 years and baseball is nothing more than something to be on the radio while sitting outside enjoying a smoke and a beer.

I still watch the Giants, because every week in a 16 game season is important. TBH though, the days of the NFL being "Must See TV" are long gone and I won't go out of my way or schedule my day around a Giants game. My dad would spin in his grave if he saw this.

The only one of my teams I really flip over nowadays is New York City FC in MLS. There are any number reasons I can give, but the main one being my son is crazy about the sport. We go to about 8 or 9 matches a year up at Yankee Stadium and it really is a wonderful bonding experience.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #17
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

You and I are not far off, Gene. As much as I "love" my LSU Tigers, or Fulham or whoever, by Tuesday I have forgotten the score, usually.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:19 PM   #18
Gene
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
You and I are not far off, Gene. As much as I "love" my LSU Tigers, or Fulham or whoever, by Tuesday I have forgotten the score, usually.
At one point in time that was unthinkable, wasn't it?
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:47 AM   #19
KatDad
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Oh boy, where to start?

As I've gotten older, I've come to realize how unimportant sports is on my everyday life (not to mention what a con it's become).

As a result I haven't set foot in the Garden to see the Knicks or the Rangers in something like 12-13 years and baseball is nothing more than something to be on the radio while sitting outside enjoying a smoke and a beer.
Right there with you, Gene.

When we were first married circa 1976 BC (before children) if the Royals were in town on a Friday night you'd find us in left field GA seats. Parking was $1.50. GA tickets were $1.50. Beers were $1.25. We could have a nice evening out for about $10.00.

Now they've moved GA to nosebleed area in the upper deck, it used to be right down the foul line around the visitor's bull pen, everything costs a minimum of 10 X what it did, and in what used to be an aesthetically pleasant stadium environment every flat surface is covered with some form of advertising. No thank you.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:04 AM   #20
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
At one point in time that was unthinkable, wasn't it?
Being a trivia buff, yes, yes it is.