Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2005, 12:00 AM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

whiskey advice.

In general, you can get a better bourbon for the money than you can scotch. Correct?

I am not a well trained connoisseur. Should I go ahead and buy the single barrel/single malt now, or should I train myself a little more on premium blended? I am used to Makers Mark, Jim beam, evan williams and weller. Not great stuff. My experience with scotch is terribly limited, but I love the stuff.

Glenlivet? Grouse? Any recommendations for a scotch that will be better than $15 brands?

I think that I would like the smokey, earthy types that carry the taste of the peat and the toasted malt. I also once got a sampler pack of Glenmorangie that contained their wine cask finishes, and I really liked the wine finished ones. Recommendations?

Keep in mind that this would be a huge investment for me, so leave out the ones that would break the $30 range by much. I would really prefer to find something that would have smoothness and flavor in the range of $20 +, as this is going to go on a christmas wish list for my family. I'm afraid to ask my wife for something like that, as she has usually picked up Maker's mark or korbel brandy, one year bristol cream sherry, and sometimes irish whiskey. I realize that going to the next level will be an increase of nearly double or more.

Once I have some ideas, I can look at past posts, and go to the liquor store and compare notes to available products.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote