Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 01-04-2002, 08:00 AM   #1

I know a gentleman who doesn't smoke cigars, but kind of knaws at them, or holds them in his mouth. Chewing cigars and smoking thems are two different relms of enjoyment. Burn and consistancy are of no consequence to a chewer. Anyway, he recommended using brandy in my humidor for improved flavor.

I really think that one of the finer things in life is a good glass of scotch whiskey and a fine cigar. So.... I was wondering if there are any ill effects of using spirits in humidors. Maybe a small glass or sponge in the corner of the humidor. Is any one using spirits in "smoke" humidors, and if so, what sucess or experience could you share.
Old 01-04-2002, 08:44 AM   #2
Park Bear
Herf Meister

Welcome to CW I can't help you with your question

PB

George Patton said during World War II, the object of war isn't to die for your country. It is to make sure the other guy dies for his.

Park Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 08:52 AM   #3
punchme
Club Member

You can flavor cigars that way, but I sure wouldn't do it in my main humi. Pick some mild inexpensive ones and put they in another humi or tupperware. They will show the flavor better and you won't ruin the good ones.

"How about a nice Habana Punch!"
Then I asked myself, WCWTWD?
Old 01-04-2002, 10:49 AM   #4
Cedarman
Charter Member
Club Member

Years ago when I smoked Macanudo-type cigars, I seasoned a cabinet humidor with Cognac. I let about 2+ ounces soak into the cedar lining, it sure smelled nice when I opened it up.
I wouldn't think of doing that unless I started smoking tasteless cigars again.
Cedarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 11:03 AM   #5
sambo
Herf Meister

@ Cedarman

I don't think I would do that, but if I did I would follow punchme's advice.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Stop ruining my ideology with you logic!
sambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 11:03 AM   #6
vern

Tried it once,years ago,,YUCK, Won't do that ever again.
But to each his own.
Old 01-04-2002, 02:27 PM   #7
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

Welcome. I would not recommend it, the alcohol will mess with your humidity, and the smell will be imparted on all of your cigars, both good and bad. I'd recommend doing it the traditional way by dipping your cigar in your glass.

"The Texans were my best soldiers. Not once did I see their backs in battle" Robert E. Lee

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 02:50 PM   #8
mhotek

Now why in the $*^*& would you ruin good Scotch and good cigars like that?

If for some reason you want to flavor some cigars, get one of those acrylic jars and put a shot glass of whatever you want in there.

If you do it in a humidor, don't expect to ever use it as anything but a flavored cigar humidor.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:16 PM   #9
Oppie X
Herf Meister

Welcome to he site and to answer your qustion I would not do that.A friend of mine did that and he ruined his sticks and his humi ended up being thrownout.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:57 AM   #10
sucol
Club Member

First of all - welcome to CW!

Second, I've noticed that some smokeshops carry an acrylic jar designed to flavor cigars just as you describe. You add your flavoring, add your cigars ... well, how much is there to this?

But I would suggest letting the cigars flavor themselves. By this I mean I would try a number of different cigars and find some you like. Store those properly in your humidor. See how the taste after 3 or 6 monts of aging. Continue to try new smokes while your favorites age. Go back to ones you liked 6 months ago and see if your tastes have changed.

In sum, cigars - unlike cigarettes - present us with a panoply of different flavors. They are blended to be smoked "as is." Find one you like, then enjoy it with a glass of your favorite brandy! And again - welcome!

Give me ambiguity ... or, ehhh ... give me something else!