Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

View Poll Results: USC or UCLA??
USC -10 2 13.33%
USC -17 4 26.67%
USC -24 or < 2 13.33%
UCLA brings home the biggest UPSET EVER!! 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
LGHT
Club Member

UCLA or USC?

Looks like this game is gonna be the best of the year for both teams and probably one of the biggest cross town rivalries ever. Not sure what the line will be, but i'm sure it's gonna be huge for USC since they are at home. UCLA was -8 against Stanford last week and now USC plays Stanford in at home and they are a -33.5 favorite. Well since UCLA struggled and pulled of yet another mircale OT win I think USC will be at least a -17 point favorite in this matchup. Depending on the line i'm going with USC at home. Although UCLA is good they really don't play well on the road and after that game against Stanford they really don't seem to be ready for USC just yet. If USC blows out Stanford i'm sure they are gonna move USC to -20 or more!

Ok so lets get the polls going who do you like and why?
LGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:47 PM   #2
GuyMcBeerdrinker
Club Member

I haven't seen enough of ucla at this point to make a fair assessment. but I think you are putting too much emphasis on ucla being the road team. they are still playing in l.a. afterall.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:27 PM   #3
LGHT
Club Member

hahah I guess you haven't been to a USC game in a while. It's like trying to part the Red Sea.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:27 PM   #4
JAY
Club Member

Boo'ins
Old 11-02-2005, 05:39 AM   #5
GuyMcBeerdrinker
Club Member

isn't the coliseum closer to the ucla campus than the rose bowl? they still won't have to deal with missing classes to get on a plane, ride the plane itself, sleep in a different town, etc.

if ucla is like most other major programs, they still spend the night at a hotel even during home games. although technically they'll be the visitor they still won't be subject to the rigors that true visiting road teams face.

anyway, back to the subject. I doubt a usc -20 will be that high. remember that linesmakers want to post one that will draw bets to both sides of the fence. if they make it ridiculously high everyone is going to start loading up on ucla based on their top 10 status alone.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:04 AM   #6
JustKevin

Still a long way to go, but if both teams continue to play like they have been, USC -17 sounds right. I actually think ucla still might lose to one of the two Arizona schools they have left on the schedule, especially if they continue to play flat for 3 quarters.

Having watched both teams a lot, USC should win easily by 3-4 TD's. Key stat: USC currently has the 5th best rushing offense in CFB, ucla has the 11th worst rushing defense. And miracle comebacks against Pac10 doormats and USC are two different things.

Of course, USC "should" have won last year by 3-4 TD's, but they held on for a 5 point win, so...

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
JustKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:51 AM   #7
LGHT
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKevin
Still a long way to go, but if both teams continue to play like they have been, USC -17 sounds right. I actually think ucla still might lose to one of the two Arizona schools they have left on the schedule, especially if they continue to play flat for 3 quarters.

Having watched both teams a lot, USC should win easily by 3-4 TD's. Key stat: USC currently has the 5th best rushing offense in CFB, ucla has the 11th worst rushing defense. And miracle comebacks against Pac10 doormats and USC are two different things.

Of course, USC "should" have won last year by 3-4 TD's, but they held on for a 5 point win, so...
I agree that USC rolls, UCLA has little or no serious defense to slow down USC. So if USC gets out in front early it's gonna be a long game for UCLA. I think the key to last year was home field advantage. UCLA always has a great tournout of fans and they usually cover the spread, but on the road they have struggled all year. If the line is 17 or under I may put a good wad down.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:57 AM   #8
zebo65
Herf Meister

Spread will be about 22 and USC will cover the #. I wouldn't be surprised if UCLA lost in Tucson this weekend. Wildcats are competitive every week. Turnovers have killed this team all season.
zebo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 05:50 PM   #9
debaire
Herf Meister

There's just no way in heck UCLA will be able to beat USC, especially after getting lucky 4 weeks in a row.

Fine, twist my arm, I'll smoke a cigar.
RIP cubano67, knife
Full Flavor Federation (FFF) - Charter Member
debaire is offline   Reply With Quote