Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Seconds

I've been a cigar smoker for a while but I have very little knowledge when it comes to seconds that are sold by many sellers, such as Hoyt's. It seems to me that many of the "seconds" might not actually be faulty, but that there's an overrun and they need to sell them. So they call them seconds and sell them at a lower price. They don't want to lower the price of the original cigar, but they're willing to sell them as "seconds."

Any thoughts to this theory?

Because, seriously, if a company has that many faulty cigars, what's to say that the 1st class cigars are also not problematic?

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

long ago Lew from JR said they were from both sources - blemishes etc and over runs.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
long ago Lew from JR said they were from both sources - blemishes etc and over runs.
So, basically, some of them are identical, while others have some cosmetic flaws. But everything else is the same?

I usually smoke in the dark, so I'm really not concerned about how my cigar looks.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Hey, I just noticed that my question about seconds is in the wrong thread. In fact, I had tried to start a new thread regarding seconds. Can a mod fix that please?

Old 08-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
Hey, I just noticed that my question about seconds is in the wrong thread. In fact, I had tried to start a new thread regarding seconds. Can a mod fix that please?

sorry I'm inmoderate

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
Old 08-10-2012, 04:13 AM   #6
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Boom, done!

---

Most of the "seconds" I've had have been virtually indistinguishable from "firsts" other than by their lack of bands/boxes. In some cases, I've been able to find small cosmetic defects in the wrappers, but in many cases I can find no defect at all. Serious construction problems? Nope.

To me, the indication is not that the company has "that many faulty cigars," but rather that they have high standards.

Recent favorite: Alec Bradley 90+ Rated Seconds, coronas, from CI. I'm convinced they're seconds of the Tempus Genesis, and every one I've had has been outstanding. For about $2, they ROCK!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

there used to be a brand called private stock that was Keltner seconds, including Davidoff and Avo. Not easy to find but always good.

I also remember Matasa 2nds from JR that were really good although some were soft. But the flavors were great, even if the wrappers were sometimes a little odd.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
KatDad
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
I also remember Matasa 2nds from JR that were really good although some were soft. But the flavors were great, even if the wrappers were sometimes a little odd.
Yes sir, used to love those Matasa 2nds coronas.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Breech
Club Member

Famous used to get RP Factory Select SG's that were fantastic.... Haven't seen one of those in months (i smoked my last 2 earlier this spring), and haven't seen them sold, or for sale, in a very long time (over 1 year)....

Too bad!

j

Talkin' 'bout some back rent, she lucky if she get any front rent.- John Lee Hooker

Strike While The Iron Is Hot!!
Breech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

with the plethora of front marks and lines and all that you'd think there must be a lot of seconds via over run but I think maybe 2nds are now branded as some of the low end lines from the big vendors.

That is 100% guess work on my part. Lew also once said that some of the 2nd lines were not 2nds because if you made that many bad cigars... which gets back to over runs, stuff that was never sold, etc (which was part of the consuegra content).

End of the day a lot of how the cigar industry works is known by insiders only from what I can tell and few of us are insiders.