Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 07-18-2002, 03:38 PM   #1
stempler
Club Member

I have the 18 bottle avanti wine cooler. I have a half pound of climax beeds in the bottom of the cooler and another half pound in the middle of the cooler. I also have a cigar oasis in the bottom of the cooler. And of course the cooler is chuck full of cigar boxes, with room for air to flow between them. The problem is I am only getting 60 to 64% humidity, without the oasis working constantly. I used a full cartridge in two weeks. The temp is at 68 to 70 degres. Can anyone give me any advice.

Robert

Robert
stempler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 04:40 PM   #2
sd_smoker
Club Member

Before anything else I'd verify the accuracy of your hygrometer. Between the beads and the Oasis you should have no problem at all maintaining ~70%. As far as going thru an Oasis cartridge in two weeks, did you refill it your self? If so, how many times? From what I've heard, after refilling a cartridge a few times they start to lose their "staying power". You might try ordering a refill from BargainHumidors.com and seeing what happens... Good luck!
"Personal charisma is a force that undermines institutions as often as it sustains them. Political institutions need the more reliable buttresses of tradition and duty. Mass emotionalism and celebrity-worship are hostile to any constitutional system."
sd_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 05:06 PM   #3
Oppie X
Herf Meister

I'm betting that your hygrometer is off.I only have a humi-tube in mine and that keeps it at 66% for months.I keep the humidifcation on the top shelf.I also wonder hopw many timesthe unit is kicking in to keo it cool.When it kicks in it drops the humidity down.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:25 PM   #4
stempler
Club Member

I have calibrated my dial hygrometer and my digital hygrometer. I was thinking that being in a cooler atmosphere they might read different, but that is not so with these. As far as the element on my oasis, I gave it the first refill last night with distilled water.

Robert
Old 07-18-2002, 08:59 PM   #5
roncarlos

the warmer the room it is in, the more the compresser will run. the compresser will decrease your humidity.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:59 AM   #6
sd_smoker
Club Member

The only reason the fridge should cause lower humidity is if it's frost-free. I thought most of the wine-coolers were not, though I could be wrong. Normally cooler temps would make the RH go up, as cooler air is more dense and can therefore hold less moisture...
"Personal charisma is a force that undermines institutions as often as it sustains them. Political institutions need the more reliable buttresses of tradition and duty. Mass emotionalism and celebrity-worship are hostile to any constitutional system."
Old 07-19-2002, 12:22 PM   #7
stempler
Club Member

Will plugging the hole in back of the cooler for evaporator runoff elivate the humidity?

Robert
Old 07-19-2002, 04:26 PM   #8
sd_smoker
Club Member

I'd think so!
Old 07-19-2002, 05:20 PM   #9
Cigarnv

I would suggest removing the Climmax beads and placing wet sponges(distilled water) in a dish in the cooler until the humidity settles in at where you want it. The beads do not have a large moisture releasing capacity and if dry could possibly be taking in moisture. Once your are stable the beads should work fine if the issue is not a leak or the cooling unit drying the air...
Old 07-19-2002, 11:40 PM   #10
rmklaw1

I just purchased a 24 bottle wine cooler from Sears. Do the experts here suggest lining it with cedar? Also, is it better to keep it off or run it at the minimum setting to circulate air? Thanks.

!!!!!Mas vale un cigarro en la boca que veinticinco en camino!!!!!

!!!!!A cigar in you mouth is better than twenty-five on their way!!!!!