Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
shrink
Club Member

H. Upmann Magnum 50 EL

Being a lover of most things Upmann, I was looking forward to this smoke. I got a few samples and let them humidify for a couple of months. At 50 ring girth, and 160 mm in length, it’s a rather impressive cigar, in an “EL” sort of way. It has the typical EL dark wrapper, and was heavy and firm in the hand. The pre-light aromas were sweet and spicy, with a little barnyard thrown in. Based on this, and several enthusiastic reviews, my anticipation level was high.

The initial draws were firm and well flavored, with a little peppery spice that tingled a bit when I passed the smoke through my nose. Unfortunately, the cigar soon devolved into a light to medium bodied smoke, with a somewhat one-dimensional flavor profile that remained linear throughout an hour and a half. I would say that it lacked depth and character (perhaps I'm talking about congeners), and seemed much too smooth for such a youthful cigar. The thought, “cooked tobacco” came to mind. I was hoping for something reminiscent of a strong young Upmann, with the characteristic tang and crisp, strong tobacco flavors.

Sadly, this Magnum 50 had more in common with many other EL’s I have smoked than any Upmann I know. In a blind tasting, I don’t think I would even have known what marque it was, and might have guessed Romeo y Julieta, although it lacked the fruitiness of the Hermoso No. 2 (which I like). It’s lack of depth and complexity, the complete absence of any Habanos twang, and it's rather cloying sweet finish made it a rather boring, and disappointing experience. I would have much preferred one of my Mag 46’s, Monarcas, Sir Winstons, Connaisseur No.1's or No. 2’s to this all too generic EL.

However, it is a young cigar, and had some noticeably ammoniac hits near the end, which reminds me that it has some aging ahead of it. Perhaps it will improve with time. What a shame that Upmann didn’t just roll up some Mag 46 filler in a golden wrapper, with something extra thrown in to give it a little more spice. That would have been a winner, for sure. Every time I'm finishing a Mag 46, I think to myself, “I sure would enjoy another half hour of this…”.