Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 02-18-2003, 07:49 AM   #11
Renaissance Man
Owner Emeritus
Herf God

I use a pair of the big K-horns in the living room audio+video system. Two-channel only. I dislike "surround sound" effects.

I prefer single-ended DHT tube amps. 2 - 16 wpc, depending on tube and design, requires VERY high sensitivity speakers with easy-to-drive impedence loads. Hence Lowthers in the main system and K-horns upstairs.
My current rotation: Bolivars (RC, PC, BBF, CE and Corona JR), Punch Punch, El Original Claro Corona and Lancero, Davidoff Grand Cru #1, VR Famoso, Upmann #2, and R&J Churchill.
Renaissance Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 08:08 AM   #12
Castanza
Club Member

If I had my dithers, or rather, if I could afford what I would like. I would go with 2 systmes. One strictly for Home Theater, and of course one high-end strictly 2 channel stereo for audio. One problem would be where I would be able to have the room much less the $.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:44 AM   #13
Bad Ash

Made the mistake of dumping my Dyna seperates (tubes) that I built with my Dad and had for years, in favor of a mid-high end A-V receiver. Then about a year ago my cousin's wife made him get rid of his speakers which she said were "too big, and didn't fit the decor of their new house". He asked if I wanted them, and I said yes. Turns out they were a pair of 80's vintage Klipsch Cornwalls. They're no Khorns, but they're still some of the best speakers I've ever listened to, and clearly better then the old AR-3's they replaced, or the Polk Monitors I use for Home Theatre. It's incredible how good equipment can make listening to music so much more enjoyable. Every time I pick up a new CD/LP, I can't wait to get home and hear how it will sound through these speakers. Unfortunately, I now have to upgrade the rest of my system, but I figure it's worth it.
Bad Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 05:07 PM   #14
pcotton3
Banned

My wife made me get rid of some speakers that were too big. She's also now my ex-wife!
pcotton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 07:34 PM   #15
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix
Please elaborate about Marantz and Kliptsch???
We used to joke about these at the store in the 80s. You know, the HI-FI store :P

Hey man, whatever you like is good....... anyway, WTF do I know, when in high school I played in many a basement/garage band where we frequently turned the amps up to 11, plus the years of being "exposed" to high decibel car stereos, probably can't hear to well anymore anyways 8)
JLOH #19
ak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote