Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #1
lightout
Starting Member

Humidor help needed...

Hi
I just got my new Humidor a few days ago.Its a humidor that holds between 75-100 cigars.
My question is I only have like 5 cigars left in my old humidor (that i won't be keeping by the way),should I season my humidor right now and put the remaining 5 cigars i have in it Or its better to wait until I have until i get a few boxes to put in it?
Some told me that its not good to leave an empty humidor because it will mess up the humidity,is that true?
I'm going to Cuba in 3 weeks so i will have 3-4 boxes to put in.

P.S. I know every one say to get a digital hydrometer but i just did the calibration salt test for the analog one that comes with the humidor and after 16 hours its at a nearly perfect 75%,do you guys think I'm good for a while Or should I get a digital right away?

Thanks

Last edited by lightout; 01-04-2014 at 06:21 AM.
lightout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
Ted
Club Member

What size is your old humidor? You might want to keep it for segregation or for lowering the humidity of wet cigars.

Also if you think you will stick with cigars for awhile, it might be best to consider a much larger storage solution ... like a cabinet humidor or Igloodor. (Do a Google search for examples.) That way you can keep your cigars in the original boxes for better protection and ease of identification.

I'd also suggest digital hygrometers. They are more accurate and only cost about $15.
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

I'd suggest:

1. Season the new humidor now. If you have the RH stabilized when you get back with your new cigars, no waiting - you'll be good to go. As long as the cigars are properly humidified, the transition to their new home should be seamless.
2. Get a digital hygrometer...and make sure you salt test it to be sure.
3. Keep the old humidor for exactly the reason Ted suggests, as well as for "overflow." Most of us know about overflow all too well.
4. Don't stress if you see minor fluctuations in RH. I like to run my humidors at 65%, but I don't worry unless they go below 55% or above 70%. Cigars are far tougher than most folks give them credit for.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
lightout
Starting Member

Just got a CALIBER IV DIGITAL HYGROMETER for 22$ with shipping i hope its a good one
Old 01-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

I've got that hygrometer, as well as a few cheapies from cigars international online. Once you 'salt test' them, they're very reliable. I purchased some 'adjustable' digitals, and only one of them needed to be adjusted after the salt test.
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:19 AM   #6
lightout
Starting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
I'd suggest:

1. Season the new humidor now. If you have the RH stabilized when you get back with your new cigars, no waiting - you'll be good to go. As long as the cigars are properly humidified, the transition to their new home should be seamless.
2. Get a digital hygrometer...and make sure you salt test it to be sure.
3. Keep the old humidor for exactly the reason Ted suggests, as well as for "overflow." Most of us know about overflow all too well.
4. Don't stress if you see minor fluctuations in RH. I like to run my humidors at 65%, but I don't worry unless they go below 55% or above 70%. Cigars are far tougher than most folks give them credit for.
I heard from some that I should freeze my cigars for 72h when i come back from Cuba before putting them in my humidor to prevent beetles infestation,is that necessary? thanks
Old 01-05-2014, 07:42 AM   #7
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

You can freeze them for a little extra peace of mind. I never have, but others swear by it.

I realize you'll be in Cuba, but even there you need to be on the look out for counterfeit cigars. Make sure you are buying cigars from a reputable dealer.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightout View Post
I heard from some that I should freeze my cigars for 72h when i come back from Cuba before putting them in my humidor to prevent beetles infestation,is that necessary? thanks
Not really...unless you have reason to suspect there's a problem.

Much more information here: http://forums.cigarweekly.com/showthread.php?t=84967

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
lightout
Starting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
You can freeze them for a little extra peace of mind. I never have, but others swear by it.

I realize you'll be in Cuba, but even there you need to be on the look out for counterfeit cigars. Make sure you are buying cigars from a reputable dealer.
Don't worry i have been going there for a while now.I always buy from the government store.But whenever i got there is always someone that tried to sell me counterfeit.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
lightout
Starting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
I've got that hygrometer, as well as a few cheapies from cigars international online. Once you 'salt test' them, they're very reliable. I purchased some 'adjustable' digitals, and only one of them needed to be adjusted after the salt test.
After doing the salt test on my CALIBER IV DIGITAL HYGROMETER it shows 70% is that normal that its off by 5%? thanks