Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 07-16-2004, 07:43 PM   #1
tborren

La Finca Corona

Today I had the opportunity to sit down and try for the first time a La Finca Corona. A nice looking 5.5 X 42 cigar with Nicaraguan binder and a blend of filler tobaccos from Honduras, Nicaragua and the Dominican Republic. On first inspection it appeared to be a very nice cigar, with a nice golden brown Ecuadorian wrapper. I didn’t find any soft spots along the cigar. The aroma was wonderful; there were a few small veins along the wrapper. The foot had about a ¼ inch split.

As I pre heated the foot the anticipation grew for a very relaxing smoke. I lit the cigar and I found it to be a mild cigar with a nutty / coffee taste which I found pleasing with a nice medium draw and after about the first quarter it seamed to acquire a spicy undertone. The medium gray ash held for about 1 ½ inches before it fell. Then about half through the cigar the spices became more prevalent. The burn was very nice and even all the way through. It also had lots of smoke to enjoy.

I found the La Finca to be a very good smoke and at the price of a box being about 29.95 it could be a smoke you could enjoy everyday.
tborren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 08:26 PM   #2
bsk
Club Member

Glad you liked them Tony!

Only 24 more to go.....
bsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:43 PM   #3
guitar4001

yep

these are possibly the most maligned cigars among internet board users. To be quite honest, i don't see the problem with them. They are extremely well made and are always a good price. They do put off a rather unusual odor i must say, kinda like kosher pickles. They are one of the most widely sold cigars from Nicaragua from what i understand. The NATSA company that they come from far outsells many other great Nica manufacturers, which says something for their consistency.

My friend Jimmy loves the corona la finca. He won't smoke any other size that they make. He's a dedicated CAO and Padron smoker too.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:02 AM   #4
Polestar
Club Member

Nice review! The Joyas have been good cigars, and I've gifted boxes without ever having a concern they'd not be appreciated.
Polestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 05:48 AM   #5
tborren

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsk
Glad you liked them Tony!

Only 24 more to go.....
And going to love every puff

Thanks
tborren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:07 AM   #6
txmatt
Starting Member

Re: yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar4001
these are possibly the most maligned cigars among internet board users. To be quite honest, i don't see the problem with them. They are extremely well made and are always a good price. They do put off a rather unusual odor i must say, kinda like kosher pickles. They are one of the most widely sold cigars from Nicaragua from what i understand. The NATSA company that they come from far outsells many other great Nica manufacturers, which says something for their consistency.

My friend Jimmy loves the corona la finca. He won't smoke any other size that they make. He's a dedicated CAO and Padron smoker too.
You are right on! La Stinka's got me through much of the cigar boom. I was a poor college student throughout much of it. When everything I used to smoke was doubling and tripling in price I was gifted one by a buddy. Even being a poor college student I gave him a hard time for gifting a $1 cigar. After smoking it I understood why; this was a great cigar for the buck. He was sharing the knowledge more than the stick. The corona is IMO the best in the line although I am thinking of trying the Belli. Although the aroma of these cigars is not good (hence their nickname) the consistancy, burn, and flavor best cigars many times their price.

As much as I like these cigars I can't understand how CI gave the cigar a 91 ratiing. I swore off the magazine in '98 the day I went into a local shop and asked for a box expecting to pay $30 - $35 and watched the cash register ring them up @ $89. The cashier told me about the review. Thank goodness these sticks are back to their proper price.

Can anyone else name a boxed, first quality, national brand cigar that runs around a buck a stick that tastes better? Presently my go-to brands for super-cheap cigars are DE's La Veja Habana and Flor de Olivia small figurados (but these are bundles and rumored to be "O" seconds). I am not against seconds or mixed filler, and I see no reason for La Finca to be looked down on. I have bought more boxes of La Finca than any other brand; the next closest brand is Onyx Reserve.

Kudos to the reviewer for proudly saying he likes this cigar.

Thanks for the good review tborren!
My name is Matt and I like La Finca!
txmatt is offline   Reply With Quote