Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 04-28-2004, 10:09 PM   #1
Danforz
Club Member

What do you guys think about the Zino Platinum Crown Series?

I noticed they're comming out with a new size for the crown series... a whopper with a 60 ring gauge ( http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...42,961,00.html ). When I was first getting into cigars I considered it the holy grail of domestic general market cigars... (something I heavily scorned for thinking at a previous forum...). I've come to learn that theres a lot more to it, but still I've yet to try one of these. With our the price being a factor, I was wondering what you guys thought about it... flavor profiles? Howd it burn? Construction? etc.
Danforz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:35 PM   #2
Girardian
Club Member

There was an interesting article on Davidoff (partent company of Zino) in CA a while back in which the CEO discussed this line. Essentially he spoke about it from a marketing perspective more than from an actual quality of cigar production point of view. I think this is telling. I have one (not the new size) in my humidor I haven't smoked. Construction is beautiful, and from what I've read (this isn't a review, I haven't smoked one yet) I think the flavor profile will be up my alley when I'm in the right mood (likely too mild for some others).

The prices on this line are steep and when you lay a ZPS out on a table next to other options for the money, well the compeition is going to be pretty widespread.

I'd be interested in hearing from others that have smoked this line recently. Everyone's tastes differ, but to date the few CW reviews on this line have been mediocre (or more accurately, good but not worth the money). Here are some reivew links:

http://forums.cigarweekly.com/viewtopic.php?t=57130
http://forums.cigarweekly.com/viewtopic.php?t=46557
http://forums.cigarweekly.com/viewtopic.php?t=42362
Old 04-29-2004, 05:33 AM   #3
wer
Club Member

Haven't tried this line yet, but I'll be picking some up locally in a 2 for 1 special tomorrow

I'll let ya know
wer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 08:55 PM   #4
IronBar
Banned

Location: Like the Bird of Paradise, I've flown up your nose.
Q. What do you guys think about the Zino Platinum Crown Series?

A. Not much.

Fair cigar, overpriced, and hyped with a dumptruck load of advertising.
IronBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 11:56 PM   #5
moki
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBar

A. Not much.

Well-said. They are not the holy grail of domestic cigars for anything other than price. They are relatively mild, semi-interesting, but worth less than 1/3rd of what they charge for them, IMHO.

I do not mind paying for premium cigars -- but I expect them to be far more interesting than the Zino Crown series.

Honestly, don't bother -- let all of the people who are clueless about cigars and just buy the most expensive cigar out there snatch them up. You aren't missing anything.
moki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 01:35 PM   #6
xibbumbero

A very good over priced cigar,YMMV. X
xibbumbero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 01:53 PM   #7
detsmoker

I was gifted a 3 pack of the Chubbies. I still have two left and I am thinking of throwing them to my next trade as freebies. What does that tell you.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:25 PM   #8
moki
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by detsmoker
I was gifted a 3 pack of the Chubbies. I still have two left and I am thinking of throwing them to my next trade as freebies. What does that tell you.
Well, in all fairness, the Chubbies are not part of the Crown series.
moki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 03:09 PM   #9
xibbumbero

A lot of people confuse the Scepter series and the Platinum Crown series. I've not tried the Scepter series and only one PC but it was superb. X
xibbumbero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 03:16 PM   #10
Trblmkr
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moki
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBar

A. Not much.

Well-said. They are not the holy grail of domestic cigars for anything other than price. They are relatively mild, semi-interesting, but worth less than 1/3rd of what they charge for them, IMHO.

I do not mind paying for premium cigars -- but I expect them to be far more interesting than the Zino Crown series.

Honestly, don't bother -- let all of the people who are clueless about cigars and just buy the most expensive cigar out there snatch them up. You aren't missing anything.
What he said
Trblmkr is offline   Reply With Quote