Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 08-12-2003, 09:09 AM   #1
HAM
Starting Member

SAP in Humi

How do I get the sap out of my Humi? Please help me.....
HAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 06:38 PM   #2
AmbassadorP

How bad Roy? If it is within small area and has stopped releasing, then grab a cloth with a little acetone or even thinner to clean the sap. If the problem is within bigger area, use fine sand paper to remove the surface, without damaging the humidor. Let it air for few days and proceed to humidify. Keep an eye on it because it will damage the cigars.
AmbassadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 07:01 AM   #3
adauria

I saw the sappy humi firsthand. I have some more questions for you FOGs on this:

1) How do you know if it is done "running" and won't come back?

2) Any good way to prevent it from coming back?

Thanks

-Andrew
adauria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 02:41 PM   #4
Arlin

"Bleeding" Spanish Cedar

Acetone needs to be used to remove the sap. Sanding will compress the sap further into the pores of the wood in my experience.

In my experience, 'bleed' can re occur, but repeated applications of acetone will 'lift' the sap eventually.

Also, rather than sanding I recommend using a cabinet scraper [or judicious use of a razor blade] to clear off the surface, as the 'scraping' will remove the softened sap, yet not compress the wood beneath as wood sanding.

Once the acetone has been used, along or without the scraping, and the liner is thoroughly dry, then fine sand paper can be gently used.

FWIW this is my experience.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:27 PM   #5
mhotek

It happens, although rarely, it can occur. What gives Spanish Cedar its aroma is the oils and sap within the wood. Spanish Cedar is one of the more interesting woods in the world, because it has a high dependence on when phase of the moon it was harvested in. Yes, that sounds VERY weird. But, if harvested during the improper time of the month, you can wind up with a lot of sapping in the wood. Unfortunately, even the best people doing selection on Spanish cedar can not always avoid selecting wood that will produce sapping.

The good news is that it can be removed and once completely removed, rarely, if ever comes back. I do have a couple which have sapped, but I have left them since the sapping occured where the tray comes into contact with the liner and since it wasn't causing the liner to stick, I haven't gotten around to doing anything about it.

I also know that one thing can affect sapping. "Cooking" your humidor. In otherwords, if it spends a significant amount of time sitting in a high heat area such as on your doorstep during the summer waiting for you to get home or a long time in transit in the middle of the summer, it can lead to having quite a bit of sap produced. We ran into this when unpacking humidors for the RTDA. The humidors had sat in a container on a dock which wasn't air conditioned for about a week and they also got quite hot during the transfer to Nashville, so we spent quite a bit of time with some alcohol removing the sap from the trays, etc.

Acetone works. I've used alcohol as well. (Just don't grab your scotch, bourbon, cognac, etc. as it will add flavor to the humidor that you don't want.) Rubbing alcohol, Everclear, and other things like that will remove it nicely. After airing it out, just recheck periodically to ensure it won't reoccur.

If I interpreted the other posts correctly, the humidor that is sapping is one you got from us. If you don't want to go through the process of removing the sap, you think it is a significant issue that can reoccur, or are just not comfortable with it, please contact us. We'll ship you a replacement and have that one picked up once the replacement arrives.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:33 PM   #6
prflani
Herf Meister

Outstanding gesture mhotek...
prflani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 11:51 AM   #7
adauria

Wow, very generous MHotek. I've heard good things about your company's service and products. I'll keep this in mind next time I need another humidor.

-Andrew
adauria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 03:49 PM   #8
mhotek

It's actually a standard policy and has been so since we started. No questions asked returns/replacements really does mean no questions asked.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:02 PM   #9
HMS Richard

Bleeding does in fact reoccur with some frequency from my experience. Any retailer worth his salt SHOULD take a bleeder back and provide a no-cost exchange assuming the humidor was recently purcased and in otherwise good condition - particularly if it is an assembly line unit that the vendor can replace with existing stock. I don't feel this is duty above and beyond. I would expect this of any reputable retailer.

As far as removing the sap, yes to a light application of acetone or rubbing alcohol. After that, you have to keep an eye on things. All the more reason to go with Honduran Mahog which does not have a tendency to bleed, albeit it does have a more neutral aroma vs.Spanish cedar . It is from the same family of wood and has very similiar properties. The word has gotten out and more and more folks are opting for mahog primarily because of Spanish cedar's succeptability to bleeding. I prefer mahog because of its less pronounced aroma.

Obviously, if you are buying an inexpensive import, you don't have the option of requesting one wood over the other - you are going to get Spanish cedar no matter what and it may not be the best quality Spanish cedar. However, if ordering a custom piece, my personal feeling, is that Honduran Mahogany is the way to go. It's what I have in my cabinet and desktop.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:37 PM   #10
Mr.Mean
Herf Meister

Will Mineral spirits (low odor) work at removing sap?