Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:18 AM   #1
vicsteele
Club Member

Kitty Litter?

I have read over numerous threads that you can use kitty litter in your humidor. I understand the properties of it and that it is designed to absorb water. My question is How does it regulate at 65% RH?

I hear people say that you can treat them yourselves to maintain a 65% RH. I am not a scientist and have no idea how to treat kitty litter to maintain 65% RH. If I were to buy the 100% pure silica gel kitty litter, do I just put a bag of it in my humidor? Won't it just suck up all of the moisture in my humidor? How is this really done.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2006, 06:25 AM   #2
tonycsmoke
Club Member

It's not kitty litter we are talking about - it's the crystal beads. It's supposed to be the exact same thing. We should get Prflani involved on this one.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:42 AM   #3
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Vic, I've read the threads you reference. Apparently some people are having good results with a very SPECIFIC BRAND of Kitty litter (I don't recall which). They aren't doing anything to it. Treat it just like beads. Mist some water on 'em. Or just put some water in your humi with 'em until they reach saturation. I haven't used the stuff. But it certainly won't hurt to experiment with it.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:07 AM   #4
vicsteele
Club Member

Experimentation is not what I am about. I just don't want to ruin a bunch of premium smokes. The brand of kitty litter is Exquisicat. It is 100% silica beads. people need to not worry about the kitty litter part because it is just a moisture abosrbant. The cigar beads are also silica but they are pre treated. I have seen a lot of people say to treat them yourselves and that it is easy and cheap. How do I treat them is the question? How do I "season" them to regulate 65%.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:40 AM   #5
magnus5
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsteele
Experimentation is not what I am about. I just don't want to ruin a bunch of premium smokes. The brand of kitty litter is Exquisicat. It is 100% silica beads. people need to not worry about the kitty litter part because it is just a moisture abosrbant. The cigar beads are also silica but they are pre treated. I have seen a lot of people say to treat them yourselves and that it is easy and cheap. How do I treat them is the question? How do I "season" them to regulate 65%.
As was said above, those who have said they are using them say they just mist them with water and put them in the 'dor and they mainatin 65-68. I am very interested in this as well.

I went to Petsmart and found there are a couple of products from that company. The one they are using is the crystals unscented. According to the ingredients they are 100% silica beads.

Now I have to ask myself this. Do the silica beads naturally hold moisture to a 65-70% humidity when in an enclosed space? Do they give moisture back off naturally to stay at that level?

I cannot understand why you would want litter, or something I should say that is designed supposedly to be litter, to soak up only a certain amount of humidity and then not anymore. Or why you would want litter to give off moisture at all.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:03 AM   #6
debaire
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus5
I cannot understand why you would want litter, or something I should say that is designed supposedly to be litter, to soak up only a certain amount of humidity and then not anymore. Or why you would want litter to give off moisture at all.
That is an excellent point. If anyone has the gall to try this, I think there'd be much interest as to the results.

Fine, twist my arm, I'll smoke a cigar.
RIP cubano67, knife
Full Flavor Federation (FFF) - Charter Member
debaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:34 AM   #7
vicsteele
Club Member

It is not litter. Basically someone realized that silica beads would be a good natural alternative to other kitty litters and thus marketed it that way. Silica beads have been used for years in pill boxes, shoes etc... it is those little packs you find that are designed to absorbe moisture. That is where I get a little worried. It is designed to absorbe and not regulate RH. It does not state that it lets moistrure back out. To me the silica branded as kitty litter is designed for one thing, to suck up as much water as it can, It would be crappy ( no pun intended ) to have kitty litter that absorbed all of the piss then let it out, then absorbed it again etc... The main properties of silica is to absorb.

I know that the marketed types of Cigar beads is the same material, but that is like saying all wood is the same or all gold is the same.

I have seen some threads of huge fans of the kitty litter, lets hear them out.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:51 AM   #8
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by debaire
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus5
That is an excellent point. If anyone has the gall to try this, I think there'd be much interest as to the results.
Van55 uses 'em. He says they work. I believe him. As to the details...I really think you gotta try some and mess with 'em. Use an old huimdor or tupperdor with some seconds.

The thing with litter is, once it reaches saturation(or starts to smell ), you toss it. Right? So this is simply a use not originally intended. If you saturate anything, it's gonna give off moisture. The amazing thing to me is that it would do it at 65% RH.

I'm sticking with the beads for my restored humidors. Not to worry guys!
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:13 AM   #9
sillyrib
Club Member

Do they call it "pearls" on the package?
Old 02-16-2006, 09:42 AM   #10
vicsteele
Club Member

This is the one that Van promoted in one of the threads

Litter