Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Pipe Racks

I've noticed that most of the racks out there are pretty mundane. Either walnut or oak, some cherry. A guy puts ogee edges on and thinks it's fancy. I've made a couple racks for myself. I just used scrap spanish cedar I had laying around. After alot of thought I think I have a design that's good looking and simple. Do you guys have pipe racks? Do most pipe smokers? Ya think there might be a market for exotic wood racks like cocobolo or blood wood? I'm wondering because compared to vintage humidors, pipe racks are easy.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:40 AM   #2
Fishin Phil
Herf God

Re: Pipe Racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrundog
Do you guys have pipe racks? Do most pipe smokers? Ya think there might be a market for exotic wood racks like cocobolo or blood wood? I'm wondering because compared to vintage humidors, pipe racks are easy.
Do I have pipe racks? Yup, four of them that I haven't been using since I got my pipe cabinet.

Ya think there might be a market for exotic wood racks like cocobolo or blood wood? I would think so, you know how wood gets pipe guys all turned on.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
n-tron

I’m generally dissatisfied with the majority of pipe racks I’ve seen. I have one that I do like and use ... a simple, mid-century-modern design in walnut that I picked up on ebay. I certainly would like to see more variety in materials and design. As far as racks currently on the market, I like Synjeco’s Pipe Tree and a lot of the work by Two Cousins.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Wow! The Two Cousins are doing some cool cabinets!
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
sucol
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrundog
Wow! The Two Cousins are doing some cool cabinets!
Yes ... but nothing you couldn't do.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
fatshotbud
Herf Meister

I have a cabinet that I want to convert to display my pipes -- basically need rack or racks to go inside it.
If you are interested in giving it a go; I will shoot you some pictures and measurements when I get back home.

LMK - BUD

Life is good!
fatshotbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
gui_tarzan
Herf God

I have several stands but one that I like the most is a round stand that holds six pipes and has a glass jar in the middle. I need to dig around and find the pics I took of it.

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
The JD
Herf Meister

I have one like that too, Gui. Got it from my dad. I think it holds a total of 12 pipes (3 on each side) and has a jar in the middle. It's not on a stand though.
The JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

I have one that I bought from BroozerMD. It's ok, the pipes don't rest in it too well, though. It's got some age on it, but no jar.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:52 AM   #10
Deriffe
Herf Meister

Search ebay for "pipe racks". There are some unique looking old antiques from time to time. There are also some newer made racks from time to time. Might be a place to start marketing.

I've got a hanging pipe rack but it's full. I do need a larger rack that will hold larger freehands. My larger Karl Erik freehands won't fit in standard racks.

http://www.myspace.com/deriffe01
Deriffe is offline   Reply With Quote