Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 05-17-2003, 09:35 PM   #1
Shape

Cigar Factory New Orleans

First off, was anyone on Bourbon today (Saturday 5/17) and tell two guys their cigars smelled green in a Daiquiri shop and then proceed to tell them to go get some from the Cigar Factory of New Orleans where we had just purchased them?

This was my first time actually smoking one of their cigars. I've had two resting in my humidor for about 3 weeks now but haven't smoked one yet.

I had a Vieux Carre Cafe' that I bought out of their store. This was a Medium Bodied cigar. I could really feel it hitting the back of my throat. It was really good though and I smoked it pretty far down. Gave me a nice straight burn pretty much all the way down and it didn't go out at all.

It had a lot of nicotine in it though as when we were walking towards the car I was starting to stumble around... or it could have been the daiquiri

I've now got another one of their cigars sitting in my humidor. It is a Torpedo Maduro. Not sure the name of the line. I just asked for the strongest cigar they had and they gave me that one. I'm going to let it sit awhile and then give it a try.

I'm going to see what their cigar is like afer letting it sit awhile. I'm thinking I might have to get a box of the one I smoked today as it was good.

They have a webpage but I can't bring it up right now. Maybe I have the wrong link.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:49 AM   #2
sevenmag
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

It wasn't me but I smoke plenty of their cigars.

The maduro Torp is a "Tres Hermanos" my favorite of their stuff.

The Vieux Carre is a cameroon wrapped cigar that they call medium but It's along the same strength line as an LLAF. Similar profile too, austere and alittle sweet with a good burn on the back of the throat. You're right about the nicotine in them, they will sneak up on you.

Don't let that torp sit. Smoke it now or wait a year. The Tres Hermanos are one of my favorite cigars but are just better fresh, or at least a year old.

They make a nice lighter bodied smoke called the Plantation Reserve that's a great morning cup of coffee cigar.

If anyone is ever in NOLA make it a point to go in there and buy some cigars. You won't be dissapointed and you'll be supporting a worthy business as well. They are good to us a the herfs there and make a good product.

The rolling shows are fun too.
sevenmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 07:42 AM   #3
Shape

Thanks for that info. I guess I'll have to smoke it soon then.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:33 AM   #4
dodom
Club Member

I picked up one each of the torps a mad and cammie when I was there about a month ago. They have rested up nice and are about ready to burn. Thanks for reminding me of them and getting my mouth watering.
dodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 09:14 PM   #5
Shape

How long do you think it is okay to let these torps rest before smoking them?

I mean, what is considered a "Fresh" cigar?
Old 05-19-2003, 06:49 AM   #6
Castanza
Club Member

Sevenmag I agree

I prefer the location closer to Jackson Brewery. I love to sit down, and watch all of the old timer's (Dominican Republic) roll cigars. While I sit back and enjoy the spoils from their hard work. They seem to be enoying what they do, and the music in background just adds to making the perfect cigar environment. It is a must do while in NOLA!
Old 05-19-2003, 06:56 AM   #7
rramstad

You'd absolutely want to smoke it within three months. Many "freshie" enthusiasts say you should ideally smoke cigars within six weeks. The issue is that they'll start to turn sour and go through a sick period... this usually is really noticable after three months or so, but some would say that you can tell even after just a few weeks.

As far as nicotine is concerned, a cigar loses a lot of nicotine in the aging process... I personally don't like a lot of nicotine, but I do like a lot of flavor, so I buy very strong cigars and age them for three or four years. The result works for me. That said, any fresh cigar, even one with relatively mild tobacco, will have a whole boatload of nicotine...
rramstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 09:09 AM   #8
Shape

Great, I guess I'll be lighting up tht torp really soon. I might have to buy a couple more and stick them on the bottom of my humidor for a year or two to see how they turn out.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:09 AM   #9
sevenmag
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I was over there in April and won a sampler box with some of all three with a few sizes of each.

I smoked a couple of the Tres Hermanos right away and they were great as usual. I'll be burning another soon and letting the rest sit for a while. I've smoked some that were several months old and they were good but just seem to lose something, not much though.
sevenmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 10:43 AM   #10
easyt

agree with what's been said about the tres hermanos. a pretty decent maduro stick.
easyt is offline   Reply With Quote