Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 10-02-2006, 05:02 AM   #1
pnutbutrsangwich
Club Member

Octoberfest Beers

Fitting for the rollover in the calendar, I partook in a couple of Octoberfest Beers this weekend. All were delicious and some quick reviews are posted below:

Sam Adams Octoberfest:
Poured a dark amber color with a light off-white head. Aroma was light and roasty. Flavor was only dominated by the malt with a pleseant sweetness producing a nice balance. Very easy to drink and enjoy.

Brooklyn Octoberfest:
Pours an orangey-amber color with a creamy head that dissipates quickly. Aroma was thin, but similar to the SA with it's malty predominance. Flavor was more complex than the SA, with notes of caramel and roasted grains to go along with the maltiness, but the brew lacked character and had a short finish. Overall, I liked this one a lot even though it had something lacking on the end.

Flying Dog Dogtoberfest:
Similar in appearance to the Brook, but the aroma had a distinctive fruity overtone. This fruit continued through to the flavor which had a surprising bitterness to it. The malts were tasty, but it may have been slightly overhopped for the style. Still very tasty.

Funny how these are all American breweries putting out these Octoberfests. I think I'll head out to the local beer haven and pick out some German ones for comparison.

Anyone have any favorites? I'm starting to really like this style.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:48 AM   #2
casual
Club Member

Yep, the Sam Adams is just what I had been looking for... something tasty and easy to drink.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
rmarrandino
Club Member

Hacker-Pschorr is one of my favorites.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
magnus5
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarrandino
Hacker-Pschorr is one of my favorites.
Mine too. And Harpoon
Old 10-02-2006, 03:04 PM   #5
MalkavianX

Harpoon's didn't float my boat, but the Foothills was good
MalkavianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #6
Oregone
Herf Meister

Look for Ayinger. And check out Spaten and Paulaner, especially if you can find them on tap.

-- Mark Twain
Oregone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:56 PM   #7
Herf
Club Member

Sam Adams is having a good year this year. Their Octoberfest used to be the best Octoberfest made in the US. The last few years have been down years for SA.

I don't like the Harpoon. I want to taste the malt and not the hops in an Octoberfest.
Herf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #8
univibe88
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herf
Sam Adams is having a good year this year. Their Octoberfest used to be the best Octoberfest made in the US. The last few years have been down years for SA.

I don't like the Harpoon. I want to taste the malt and not the hops in an Octoberfest.
I agree with everything here.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:25 AM   #9
vernonator
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herf

Yeah...I am a bit disappointed that SA has dumbed down its beers a bit...the Boston Lager has lost alot of its hop flavor and bitterness (but it still beats the hell out of drinking a BudMillerCoors). Their O'fest has always been a good beer...I think this years is pretty damn tasty.
vernonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:10 AM   #10
pnutbutrsangwich
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregone
Look for Ayinger. And check out Spaten and Paulaner, especially if you can find them on tap.
I'll be searching for these now.