Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 10-10-2016, 06:40 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Lagavulin on the CW Home Page

Surely one of the greatest whiskies (especially if one likes well peated spirits). Read all about it in the latest edition (No. 35) of A Rich Pour...

Lovin ' Lagavulin

Hope you enjoy the article!
Old 10-10-2016, 06:45 AM   #2
beevod
Herf God

Great article. I'm sure you know that small doses of Lagavulin have been found to cure Mormonism.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
flipflop
Contributing Editor
CW Butt Whisperer
Herf God

Well done, Doug.
-- Ghengis Khan
flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
jeepdad
Club Member

Mmmm, love that stuff just not the price here in VA ($105). That's what having state ran liquor stores do for you. When I travel to other states I hit the local Costco that sells booze. You can get it for $53 bucks.

Look forward to reading the article.
jeepdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:34 AM   #5
SMOKINACTUARY
Huge Cranium
Herf God

Nice work Doug.

While I wasn't into single malts early enough to try the original 12 year old, but I do remember the 16 year old being much more peaty in the early 90s. I could have sworn that the reduction in peatiness came sometime closer to when United Distillers merged with another company to form Diageo.
...the gas chambers of Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Maidanek were ultimately prepared not in some ministry or other in Berlin, but rather at the desks and in the lecture halls of nihilistic scientists and philosophers.
- Viktor Frankl
SMOKINACTUARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:11 AM   #6
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by beevod View Post
Great article. I'm sure you know that small doses of Lagavulin have been found to cure Mormonism.
large doses have made sheep nervous for years

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #7
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKINACTUARY View Post
...I do remember the 16 year old being much more peaty in the early 90s. I could have sworn that the reduction in peatiness came sometime closer to when United Distillers merged with another company to form Diageo.
There would appear to be a certain truth to what you suspect, in that Diageo was born out of the December 1997 merger of Guinness and Grand Metropolitan. And that timeline does seem to coincide - given the 16 year age of the Classic Malts version of Lagavulin - with the reversal of an extremely 'heavy' peat-reek protocol by Lagavulin around the early 1980s.

However, Diageo didn't even exist back in the 1980s. So it's perhaps more accurate to surmise that the new drinks company formed by the aforementioned merger simply inherited stockpiles of less heavily peated Lagavulin that were already maturing away in warehouses.

I'm not quite sure how heavily peat-reeked the old White Horse Distillers 12 year old release actually was vis-a-vis the 16 year old that replaced it. That said, I do remember the 12 year old displaying a much more focused peat smoke aspect - a characteristic that practically assaulted one's palate.

Thanks for the kind comments, gentlemen.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:20 AM   #8
SMOKINACTUARY
Huge Cranium
Herf God

Come to think of it Doug, I noticed that the Talisker from the early 90s was also more intense than the later incarnations.

I always assumed that this was an attempt by Diageo to make Talisker and Lagavulin appeal to a broader audience.

As an aside I remember when BigO had a bottle of Arbeg and he exclaimed it was too peaty for him. He didn't not like belching peat smoke, so there may some merit to my last statement! LOL
...the gas chambers of Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Maidanek were ultimately prepared not in some ministry or other in Berlin, but rather at the desks and in the lecture halls of nihilistic scientists and philosophers.
- Viktor Frankl

Last edited by SMOKINACTUARY; 10-11-2016 at 10:23 AM.
SMOKINACTUARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #9
flipflop
Contributing Editor
CW Butt Whisperer
Herf God

Quote:
As an aside I remember when BigO had a bottle of Arbeg and he exclaimed it was too peaty for him. He didn't not like belching peat smoke, so there may some merit to my last statement! LOL
And no one within a quarter mile of him wanted him belching peat smoke.
-- Ghengis Khan
flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #10
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
I always assumed that this was an attempt by Diageo to make Talisker and Lagavulin appeal to a broader audience.
You're not alone in that suspicion.

As for Ardbeg, it's always been at the top of my Islay whisky menu. This may partially have something to do with the fact that it was (in the pre-1997 days) almost impossible to come across. Nevertheless, I can say without any hesitation that the 1977 Vintage (official distillery release) and an Old Malt Cask 25 Year Old edition distilled in 1975 number among the finest Scotch whiskies I've ever tasted.

Heavily peated? Oh yes! But the peat aspect in these two examples is perfectly intertwined with all of the other flavour characteristics.