Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #11
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatDad View Post
Mine usually comes in a big brown truck, and that won't fit in any of my humidors.

I guess it's time for you to start looking for a new humidor.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

A drive-in...as opposed to a walk-in?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Agreed with MD.

The only thing I want to add is that taking off cello, to me, gives absolutely no benefit, while it leaves the cigars open to damage by many things, especially mold.

I do store my tubes in humidified conditions, unopened, not because I think it's absolutely necessary, but because the idea of storing a cigar in a 30-40 RH conditions for 6 or 10 years seems kinda senselessly risky, in case the corks allow moisture to wick out.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:43 AM   #14
kakestick
Starting Member

I am a newbie, but the advice given to me was to leave them the way them come. I was also told to not put two nakeds next to each other and put a stick in celo between them.
kakestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:55 AM   #15
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakestick View Post
I am a newbie, but the advice given to me was to leave them the way them come. I was also told to not put two nakeds next to each other and put a stick in celo between them.
That advice may sound reasonable, but there is no technical basis to support it. The cellophane used on cigars is gas permeable. Air, water vapor, and many (all?) of the volatile organic compounds that we perceive as the aromas coming off of cigars all pass through cellophane with ease. If that weren't the case, you would not have to worry about keeping cigars in cello in a humidified environment, nor would you be able to smell them. The idea that cellophane somehow effectively "isolates" cigars from others in the humidor is problematic, at best.

One positive thing that cello does is prevent wrapper damage during routine handling, i.e., when you go rooting around in the humi to locate a specific cigar. You could also make a case that keeping cigars with very pale wrappers (candela, claro) out of physical contact with cigars with very dark wrappers (maduro, oscuro) would prevent oils from the dark wrappers from spotting/staining the pale wrappers, but that's a process that would probably require a long time to become a significant problem.

It should go without saying that, cello or not, you should never store flavored cigars such as Acids in the same humidor as unflavored cigars, nor in any humidor in which you may ever wish to keep unflavored cigars.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:03 AM   #16
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
That advice may sound reasonable, but there is no technical basis to support it. The cellophane used on cigars is gas permeable. Air, water vapor, and many (all?) of the volatile organic compounds that we perceive as the aromas coming off of cigars all pass through cellophane with ease. If that weren't the case, you would not have to worry about keeping cigars in cello in a humidified environment, nor would you be able to smell them. The idea that cellophane somehow effectively "isolates" cigars from others in the humidor is problematic, at best.

One positive thing that cello does is prevent wrapper damage during routine handling, i.e., when you go rooting around in the humi to locate a specific cigar. You could also make a case that keeping cigars with very pale wrappers (candela, claro) out of physical contact with cigars with very dark wrappers (maduro, oscuro) would prevent oils from the dark wrappers from spotting/staining the pale wrappers, but that's a process that would probably require a long time to become a significant problem.

It should go without saying that, cello or not, you should never store flavored cigars such as Acids in the same humidor as unflavored cigars, nor in any humidor in which you may ever wish to keep unflavored cigars.
I agree 100% with everything said. Especially the part about flavored cigars. But real men don't have to worry about that, since they don't smoke flavored cigars. But, seriously, store the flavored cigars somewhere else.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #17
SmoKerch
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
I agree 100% with everything said. Especially the part about flavored cigars. But real men don't have to worry about that, since they don't smoke flavored cigars. But, seriously, store the flavored cigars somewhere else.
Like in a coffee can, buried in the back yard.

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #18
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Again, MD has hit the problem straight and true. The teensy bitsy traces of whatever will migrate out of a cigar will in almost all cases just hang around in the air within the humi, rather than find a way to drill itself deeply into another cigar. These traces are gasses. In the case that these traces do manage to invade another stick, you will be pitting many grams of tobacco in the host against the microscopic traces that escaped from another. You'd never detect it, generally speaking, unless the original cigar was rolled in lighter fluid. The oils and volatiles in a cigar wrapper are mostly tied up in the cell structure, and what bits are on the surface aren't going to transfer between sticks on the basis of only casually touching each other in a few very small spots.

In my own experience, I smoke at least as many candela and natural as I do darker wrappers. I have candelas that are well over 10 years old, and plenty of conn shade that are in the same range, and never, not once, have I noticed a dark smear on any of them. The candelas all came uncelloed, and plenty of the nats were as well, and I'm not one to segregate. I pack every cigar I have into full boxes, so I can almost assure you that the candelas and nats are scattered out among at least a half dozen boxes, and surrounded with anything imaginable, with and without cello.

Again, I still recommend leaving cello on. Like a lot of others, I see no need to remove it, and a few really good reasons to leave it on. If they come naked, just exercise extra care with them.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #19
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Explicitly speaking, the problem with acid and other flavored cigars, is that they are flavored using highly volatile compounds that are intended to vaporize easily. They use carrier compounds like alcohol and other low evaporation point hydrocarbons to transport aromatic compounds into the air, and into your nose.

So, unlike tobacco that contains its components in the plant's cells, and releases them naturally while burning, the highly volatile "unnatural" components of an acid are boiling out of the cigar at a prodigious rate, and these items can and will pass through cello and be absorbed by any organic product. In the case of an all tobacco cigar, you could actually cut up and re blend two cigars together, and they will still be all tobacco components, and you may not perceive differences. If even traces of oil of clove, cedar oil, or transmission fluid taint the wrapper of a tobacco cigar, that thing is going to be sitting right under your nose as those pollutants evaporate off.

Just tiny traces of these bizarre compounds will be able to stand out as you smoke an all tobacco cigar.

If you ever go to a store that has acids tossed into the humi room, you'll realize that just a couple of boxes of acids will absolutely overwhelm that entire room, leaving it smelling like a drunk just farted and sprayed a can of glade to cover it. They will do the same thing in a box, given time. Even one is enough to cause a problem.

Something to note, have you ever seen the liquor infused cigars? noticed they are almost all tubed? This is why.