Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
kevie49

Barlovento Cigarros Selectos review

I was given this cigar to try by a friend and in all honesty know very little about it. From a web search it appears to be from Spain/Canary Isles. The cigar was a reasonable length (about 5.5"-6") and had a ring gauge of about 42. The wrapper was on the darker side, but not as dark as a maduro. It appeared to be well constructed but gave the appearance of a budget cigar.

The cigar lit without any problems and the ash held well throughout and the burn was even. The cigar produced quite a bit of smoke, but I didn't find the scent overly strong.

The first third was mainly leathery and quite creamy. Very smooth, not hot or peppery, not much spice in the first third (18 mins into smoke).

The second third was more of the same, only addition was a very slight bit of pepper, the leather got a bit stronger and a slight bitterness started to become noticeable towards the end of the second third. Still creamy and a very consistent burn (37 mins into smoke).

The final third started well with the creaminess continuing and the leather becoming slightly more mellow. However with about an inch to go the cigar became incredibly bitter, I did persevere for about 5 more minutes but the experience became unpleasant so I opted to stop the smoke there.

Overall if this is a budget smoke then I was happy to sample it. The smoke was one dimensional, just a leathery taste, creamy too. The bitterness of the end did spoil the experience a little but a decent smoke. No the greatest stick on the planet, but I've certainly smoked worse.

Score: 6 out of 10.

Last edited by kevie49; 08-17-2017 at 12:56 PM. Reason: adding images
kevie49 is offline   Reply With Quote