Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #1
debaire
Herf Meister

More Blind Reviews Cigar #5 - Arturo Fuente Cuban Belicoso S

Please see http://forums.cigarweekly.com/viewtopic.php?t=131889
for more information.

Thanks to Augie754 for pictures! http://galleries.cigarweekly.com/Augie754/album01

Please post your reviews here following the guidelines you received in your package. The identity of each cigar will not be revealed until all participants have posted their reviews. You don't have to go in order, but try to get them all done within a couple of weeks.

Fine, twist my arm, I'll smoke a cigar.
RIP cubano67, knife
Full Flavor Federation (FFF) - Charter Member
debaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:53 PM   #2
jpweston

PRE-SMOKE (20 Total)

Appearance and Construction: 3
Burn: 3
Draw: 3
Aroma: 4

An elegant looking belicoso with a wrapper best described as "calico". This is really interesting and something I can't recall seeing in any other cigar. The wrapper color fades in and out from very light natural brown to an oily black and then back to natural again. Somewhat like the hues a charred piece of paper displays. The changes from light to dark along with a healthy oily sheen accentuate the few veins in the wrapper.

Very solid construction here, with a well placed cap. Checking the roll at the foot, things look nice with a little bit of loosening in the center. Bringing the cigar to my nose, I immediately pick up deep rich woodsy and tobacco aromas. I'm expecting this to be a flavorful smoke.

A quick snip of the cap reveals a very nice roll at the head. Pre-light draw is just right with a bit of light resistance bringing in tobacco/woodsy/chocolatey flavors.

SMOKE (20 Total)

Flavor: 8
Taste/Aftertaste: 8

Lighting up, the cigar takes the flame nicely. The first couple of puffs bring ample amounts of smoke and full spicy flavors - the kind of spicy that hits the back of the palate and just sticks there for a bit. Mmm.. Mmm.. good...

An inch into it, the draw tightens up a bit, but not horribly. The ash is salt/pepper grey and very flakey. I'm a little disappointed that the burn is a bit irregular to start, but it eventually evens out and all is well. The flavors continue to develop and there is an enjoyable ebb and flow of full rich flavors followed by a hint of spice, then a mellowing out. All told, there were about three cycles of this full-spicy-mellow flavor sequence. Additionally, the flavors achieved nice coverage of my palate. Initially, the flavors were rich and sticking to the back, then they moved forward hitting the front providing a multi-layered flavor experience.

Up to the halfway point, I noticed that the draw would progressively tighten. I thought this was strange until I saw the wrapper split. It looked like the binder had been folded accordion style in one spot. Once the heat hit, the moisture expanded and the accordion blew. The silver lining was that the draw also opened up, which brought more smoke and fuller flavors, although more mellow than the first half. Two touch-ups were required to correct the burn, which had started to go under the wrapper/binder at the site of the split. Once it got past the blow-out the burn was perfect.

SUMMARY (10 Total)

Overall Quality: 7

This cigar provided an enjoyable medium/full smoke and for the most part I was pleased. The blow-out is just something that happens with a hand-made product and I'm not going to assume that all sticks by this maker in this line suffer from the same problem. Luck of the draw I suppose. Definitely worth a fiver.

TOTAL SCORE: 36

j.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:01 AM   #3
CJ3
Club Member

I think I’ve finally got the official format down pat, just in time for the last one... :P

Blind Review Sample #5

PRE-SMOKE:

Appearance and Construction Score: 3 out of 5
Burn: Score: 2 out of 5
Draw: Score: 3 out of 5
Aroma: Score: 3 out of 5

Pre-Smoke Comments:
#5 is a hefty looking torpedo with a dark, dark, brown wrapper with mottled black accents. This cigar is so dark compared to the others we’ve sampled that I’m convinced that it must be a maduro. The wrapper is smooth with little in the way of “texture” and just some subtle “veining.” Are these signs of extensive aging? I’m unsure…

I proceed with some trepidation. Not a big fan of maddies, they always seem to have a bitter taste to me for some reason . However, if it’s well rested, perhaps some of that “sweetness” that everyone else talks about will come to the fore. The cigar is firm throughout it’s length, apparently another well rolled vitola…

I nip the conical cap & test the waters. The pre-light draw is just a bit tight, but surely a testament to the generous amount of tobacco stuffed in this cigar. The aroma is a subtle, light fragrance of tobacco. I apply my torch to the well packed foot until it glows….

The initial burn is a little ragged and at a slight angle, but produces a nice, white, ash. One side of the wrapper leaf is clearly ahead in this contest, so I apply a blast from my torch in an attempt to even the score. Unfortunately, the running continues. Dang, I so hate to report a bad burning cigar, as It’s tantamount to a veiled insult to the manufacturer. Also, as a reformed cigarette smoker, I’m a constant puffer and I think I sometimes “outpace” the cigar. She’s definitely canoeing now though….

“That’s enough of that,” I think, as I tap the ash and re-apply the heater to the lagging edge of the dark leaf. After the next blast I’m starting to think that I’ve made quite an investment of fine calibri butane in this cigar!

SMOKE:

Flavor: Score: 6 out of 10
Taste/Aftertaste: Score: 6 out of 10

Smoke Comments:
I sense a light bitterness with the first few pulls, accompanied by a slight burning sensation. There’s a sharpness and a bite to this smoke….I think my earlier suspicions are confirmed, a maduro wrapper for sure. A full and robust smoke, though. I don’t think my Mike’s Hard & Vodka is quite up to the task! (yes, to me, Mike’s Hard Lemonade is merely an expensive mixer )

A third of the way in, I still don’t detect much in the way of flavor, just a robust, full smoke, with a bit of a bite to it. The smoke continues strongly, and slightly bitter, and I begin to pick up a peppery flavor. “Well, at least it’s showing a little character,” I think to myself. Subsequently, either I, or the smoke, settles in a bit, and the peppery flavor continues for the final third of the cigar.

SUMMARY:

Overall Quality: Score: 6 out of 10

Summary Comments:
My apologies in advance to the lovers of the Leaf de Negron. I’m definitely not as enamored of this smoke as I’ve been of the others we’ve sampled, and I think my medium-bodied tendencies are clearly showing through with this cigar. I end up on the high end of average on the official CW rating scale. Not a bad smoke at all really, just not my cup of tea and all that….

FINAL RATING: 29 – 3 Stars, Average
CJ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #4
DAFU
Club Member

Cigar #5

Appearance and construction = 4
Burn = 4
Draw = 3.5
Aroma = 4.5

Very impressive looking Maduro Torp. Sleek and oily dark brown color with a firm bunch. Seemed to burn a tad hot and required a couple minor touchups, but it was a very hot and humid nite.

Flavor = 8
Taste/Aftertaste = 8.5

Smoked this baby on a 90 degree night on the patio. Held little expectations, but this cigar paired well with a Saranac Summer Ale and a Belgian White. Sweet and mild for the first half with raisins and cocoa flavors resulting in a sweet fruity finish. Opened up to a solid medium bodied smoke halfway, with sweet cedar and pepper entering the mix.

Overall quality = 8.5
I really enjoyed this cigar. I hope they aren't too pricey, cause I'd definitely like to put a few in the humi!

TOTAL = 41
4 1/2 stars.........Outstanding!
Old 08-04-2006, 08:56 AM   #5
CJ3
Club Member

Where's Augie? I'd like to see which side of the fence he falls on with this one....
Old 08-05-2006, 04:10 PM   #6
Augie754

Round 5

Cigar #5, about 5.75 x 54

PRE-SMOKE (20 total)
Appearance and Construction 4
Burn 2.5
Draw 2.5
Aroma 4

This cigar was a belicoso, it was brown with a greenish hue (pic). It had a silky smooth look to the wrapper, even though it was blotchy in spots. It was very straight and solid looking, from rolling in my fingers, I could detect no soft spots. The pre-light draw was a little tight and had a cedar aroma, like walking into a humidor. After lighting (pic) the draw continued to be tight so I cut a little more off the tapered end and that really made the draw about perfect. It burnt a little uneven (pic) (pic) the whole way and I had to make a couple of touch ups (pic). The ash was gray and solid the whole way, holding one for about an inch. All in all could have been worse and after I recut it, it's construction seems pretty good. (pic).

SMOKE (20 total)
Flavor 7
Taste/Aftertaste 7.5

The flavor of this cigar was medium bodied from the start. It had a pleasant earthy flavor. It stayed mild-medium to medium flavored throughout, and although I would prefer something with a little more punch I enjoyed it. Through the middle it became sweet and cedar flavored and finished with a rich cedar flavor. For the mild to medium folks, this should be a nice smoke.

SUMMARY(10 total)
Overall Quality 6.5

Overall this was a pleasant smoke. I wish it had more strength, but if this thing would burn straight it would make someone a great smoke for their rotation.

TOTAL 35

My own rating scale
Aesthetics: 8.0
Construction: 7.5
Flavor and Strength: 8.3
Overall Rating: 8.1

Here is a list of Ratings I've given, to put this in perspective. My Ratings Spreadsheet

My rating scale:
10.0 - 9.5 = buy at any price
9.5 - 9.0 = premium price box worthy
9.0 - 8.5 = box worthy
8.5 - 8.0 = single or 5 pack worthy
8.0 - 7.0 = single worthy if dirt cheap
7.0 - 6.0 = will smoke if given for free
6.0 - 5.0 = suffer through if have to
5.0 - 4.0 = unsmokable
4.0 - 2.0 = would rather stick my head in a dirty toilet
2.0 - 0.0 = would rather stick my head in a dirty toilet with my mouth open

Disclaimer: I've never been able to pinpoint the individual tastes like some of you can (like "hints of chocolate"), so I've used to shy away from posting any reviews. I do know when a cigar is good and basic tastes, bitter, sweet, spicy, etc. So I hope my efforts will be helpful to someone.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
Augie754

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOHNSEN3
Where's Augie? I'd like to see which side of the fence he falls on with this one....
I was a little slow on this one.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:48 AM   #8
CJ3
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie754
Overall Quality 6.5[/b]
Overall this was a pleasant smoke. I wish it had more strength, but if this thing would burn straight it would make someone a great smoke for their rotation.
Now, see, I'm surprised. I thought we'd be closer on this one. Just a little too strong for me
Old 08-07-2006, 06:05 AM   #9
Augie754

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOHNSEN3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie754
Overall Quality 6.5[/b]
Now, see, I'm surprised. I thought we'd be closer on this one. Just a little too strong for me
Ya, I was surprised that you thought it was strong. One of them must have been a little off. Can't wait to see what they were.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:12 PM   #10
Augie754

What's up with these? Is there any updates or plans to finish this or #4. I thought this was supposed to be done in 2 weeks.