Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 11-12-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
Jester
Contributing Editor
Club Member

So I'm thinking...

Bolstered by the thread a few back authored by Mike S., further enforced by an experience at the Menger in SATX...

Long story short Mike got me thinking about cold extractions...

Then spousal unit and I spent our anniversary at the Menger and when we got to breakfast in the morning the coffee was good enough that we both looked at each other and blinked in surprise.

It is an odd occurrence to encounter something that might actually be better than you produce at home in coffee terms, but there it was. It was by far the best "institutional" coffee I had had.

We inquired as to what they were brewing expecting some local roaster to be the culprit, but no. Turns out to be Douwe Egberts, who I know from roll your own tobaccos. The coffee comes in as an "extract" and is reconstituted in the hotel.

Well, why can't I?

I'll be back to let those interested know how it goes.

Best,
J.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:30 AM   #2
KatDad
Herf God

Sounds like a very interesting project. Keep us posted.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #3
Jester
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Well.

First attempt leaves much to be desired I guess but it really wasn't a controlled effort.

Spousal unit had some Ethiopian from Specs and I added enough fresh roast Ethiopian to make about a pound, extracted it in about two quarts of cold filtered water over about 14 hours.

Reduced the extract slowly on the stove, never coming to a boil. Prolly only hit about 185 F max. Took a while but I reduced it by about 2/3 in volume. Leaving the residuals in the pan.

The extract was a little bitter but smooth as I expect a cold extract to be.

Then I promptly left the extract in the fridge and left for Florida.

Spousal unit has been giving me daily reports, seems the cup is good, it is just a matter of getting it back up to "hot morning coffee temps".

We're working on the solution to that.

Still, if this effort doesn't prove to be a much superior cup over the Aeropress I'm gonna let it go. It is a PITA already...

Best,
J.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:18 PM   #4
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Egbert is big into coffee, they. Are a part of Sara Lee. They created the pod maker. If you see vending machine selling premium drinks, many of them use egbsert extract.

I buy stok shots by the case, and cram them into my wife's coffee. Blech.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:00 AM   #5
KatDad
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Still, if this effort doesn't prove to be a much superior cup over the Aeropress I'm gonna let it go. It is a PITA already...

J.
Probably makes more sense when done on a large scale for distribution. On a small scale it will likely remain a PITA.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is online now   Reply With Quote