Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
Montegrl
Club Member

Jameson / Glenmorange 18yr

Jameson , whose a fan ? I hadnt had any in about 6 yrs. My brother brought over a bottle last week. Wow. That stuff is smooth. My old favorite regular whiskey had been Jim Bean but this may take its place.

Still have not tried the 18yr glenmorange (sp ?) that Edward got me for my birthday.
Says "rare" on the bottle. What does that mean ? I guess less made. Anyone tried it ?
Montegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

"Rare," when appearing on a bottle of Scotch, translates to "expensive."

As to the rest: Paging Mr. Jazznut! Mr.Jazznut, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Jameson represents a classic Irish. The regular Jameson possesses that inimitable Irish style of smoothness counterpointed by crispness, and is all too drinkable at its price point. The 12 Year Old '1780' adds greater depth and complexity, and is a simply lovely whiskey. When you get to the 18 Year Old (originally entitled 'Master Selection', and now labelled 'Limited Edition'), the flavour profile has shifted from a more overt frutiness to something resembling essential essences - wood tones, oils and exotic fragrances come to mind... A very, very sophisticated spirit by any standard.

I haven't tried the Glenmorangie 18 Year Old in quite a while. It's now terribly expensive for what I believe it to offer over the 10 Year Old or Cask Finished (La Santa, Nectar d'Or, Quinta Ruban) versions. What the 18 Year Old does have, though, is a greater, more harmonious impact from the wood (some Sherry cask influence there) and an overall lushness. No doubting it's a beautiful pour. As for the term 'Rare', you can place that word in your scrapbook along with 'Select', 'Finest Old', 'Limited Edition', 'Ultimate' and any other such dribble you're likely to encounter on the labels of a lot of bottles these days.

A short history of the 18 Year Old is perhaps called for. Decades ago, the distillery 'discovered' some slumbering casks in the warehouse that had apparently been 'forgotten'. The whisky, obviously, had matured well beyond what the distillery normally incorporated into its standard bottlings. The spirit, though of excellent quality and great smoothness, was deemed to be just slightly 'tired'. Distillery management decided to re-rack the whisky into prime ex-Sherry casks so as to lend it more depth as well as to 'revive' the fruity and spicy aspects of the flavour profile. The 'experiment' was such a success that the distillery elected to market the 18 Year Old at a considerable premium over its 10 Year Old bottling. It sold well, and was also well received.

Glenmorangie presently goes to tremendous lengths to ensure the quality of the casks/barrels it ages its distillate in, and has become an industry leader (along with Macallan and others) in this regard.

Last edited by jazznut; 11-09-2010 at 09:44 AM.
jazznut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
Montegrl
Club Member

Thanks for answering the call with a great post ! I think Edward bought Glen.. because it was A-very on sale and B- a scotch. But could be interesting given the background. And now I must try the Jameson 12yr 1780 at some point.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
SmoKerch
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montegrl View Post
... And now I must try the Jameson 12yr 1780 at some point.
Beware, the bottles are defective and do not hold the whiskey for very long after being opened.

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoKerch View Post
Beware, the bottles are defective and do not hold the whiskey for very long after being opened.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
Montegrl
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoKerch View Post
Lol. Ya, my bottles of Jim are that way too.