Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 12-21-2003, 12:33 AM   #1
sucol
Club Member

"An American Soldier"

I don't even like country music. At all. But I am flipping through the channels last night, and come upon a video for "An American Soldier" by one Toby Keith (spelling?).

OK - I admit it. Pretty darn moving. Perhaps because the sucol family has lost members in several wars, I am always thankful for all those fighting men ( and now fighting women as well!) who make our way of life possible. This video/song seemed to capture that perfectly.

I don't know anything about this Toby fellow, but God Bless him ... he must be a pretty darn good guy.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:27 AM   #2
LabRatGDI
Herf God

It's a good song, that's for sure. He seems pretty patriotic and passionate about his beliefs from what I've gathered through seeing and reading interviews.

You should hear The Taliban song. Pretty funny.
I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. -- Benjamin Franklin
LabRatGDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:01 PM   #3
Herfin Bigdog
Herf Meister

I'm sitting here doing office work at home, listening to the Country Music Channel, and this song/video comes on. It brings tears to my eyes.

Unlike sucol, I haven't lost any family to the wars that have been fought to protect our way of life. But I recognize the sacrifices that have been made and the lives that have been lost or severely altered because of these wars, and I think about it and I can't help but feel deeply moved.

I feel proud of the way America has always stood her ground and never given in to those who wish to do us harm. And I feel a deep remorse for those who have fought to preserve the ideals that America stands for but have not returned.

And I think about my brother who was a reservist and was activated just over a year ago, and is now serving in Iraq. He was here just a short time ago for a few weeks after being away for several months. I say a prayer for him once or twice a week hoping that it will help keep him safe, hoping to speed his return to us which is due to happen in the early spring.

Thank you to All of the Armed Services Personnel for your Service on behalf of our country. <salute>

To me, a cigar is more than a good smoke; it is a way of life. I love them! And it killed George Burns at 100, so don't give me any crap about health! -- Bert Sugar, Sports Writer
Herfin Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:07 AM   #4
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Toby Keith is about the hottest thing going in country music right now. He's been riding a wave of popularity for about three or four years, now.

He came out with a song called "Courtesy of the Red White and Blue" not long after September 11, 2001. My kids love it.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote