Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2003, 01:18 PM   #1
CastlemanCigars
Club Member

Well that didn't go as planned

This week I got my BBQ drum coffee roaster (pictures coming) and this weekend I wanted to break it in. Now I've been doing a pound at a time (can do up to 4 pounds) just to get the hang of roasting times, heat, etc. Well about pound 6 or 7 I decided to crank up the heat and speed up the roasting time.

Well about 15 minutes into the roast the beans start cracking like crazy and louder than any other batch before. I finally thought I had figured it out and let the beans crack and crack and crack. When I opened my BBQ to take the roast out my wife commented that something smelt like it was on fire.

I told her it was a dark roast and maybe that was it. No sooner did I say that the entire coffee drum erupted into flames. Luckly I had welders gloves on and I was paniced. I placed the drum over my fan (used to cool the beans) and all it did was stoke the fire!

Then I put it back on the BBQ but nothing changed. Finally I had my wife run out and get the water hose. Before she did that though she grabbed the camera and snapped away as I ran franticlly across the yard!

Then when she got the hose she let the drum and me have it. So there I was dripped wet with charcol beans ... gotta love our hobbies.

PS: I am still working on getting an even roast on the drum but once that happens things will be much better!
CastlemanCigars is offline   Reply With Quote