Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:31 AM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

We Told You So

Anyone who has fought for smokers' rights, against smoking bans and tobacco taxes, knew this next step was coming. What's shocking, to me, is that the New York Times, usually a big-government apologist, allowed this to even be published.

We told you so. We told you they'd begin coming after other things besides tobacco, which was reason enough, intellectually, to defend smokers.

CW News Entry and click through to The NYT to help generate some traffic, please.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
spiny norman
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Quote:
“There are so many reasons,” J. Justin Wilson, a senior research analyst for the Center for Consumer Freedom, said in a phone interview. “There are ideological reasons, scientific reasons, and policy reasons.
“From the ideological point of view, I just don’t think a tax should be a tool for social engineering, to change people’s behaviors.
“People draw the parallel with tobacco,” he said, “but there’s a huge chasm of a difference between the two. There’s an incontrovertible link between tobacco and serious diseases. Soda is one of a plethora of products that are overused by some people, but there’s nothing wrong with it per se.”
WTF?

That should appease the anti smoking nutbags who enjoy 10 cokes a day.

Last edited by spiny norman; 10-07-2009 at 08:19 AM.
spiny norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
Smoker06
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
....click through to The NYT to help generate some traffic, please....
Tommy, what does that mean, "generate some traffic"? How does it work and what benefit does it provide?

Ed-u-ma-cate me, please.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Is there a link to the NYT article there? I just see your copied text...
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

The headline, in the story, is linked.

Clicks to us and from us generate hit statistics and traffic. We need all of both that we can get. I don't understand it all, completely, either.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Old 10-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
ConMan
Contributing Editor
Club Member

clicked the link tbb.

If this is surprising to anyone they're idiots. WTF do people think is happening in this country. That its all just the big bad smokers. Wait until they tell people they're too damn fat to fly. Oh wait, that has already happened. While government tries to run healthcare - and already do to some degree with Medicare/Medicaid and the rest - they have a "vested interest" to legislate your rights away as an american all in the name of health and saving tax dollars so they can line the special interest and lobby group pockets.

Now I feel better.
ConMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

The North Carolina teachers' insurance program is proposing, TODAY, to raise rates on overweight people and smokers. Heard it on CBS Radio news an hour ago.

I REALLY do think a lot of these, if you'll all forgive me, "do-gooder, bleeding-heart" types DID think they could ban and tax us out of their little utopia AND it would stop there. One would hope that they'd glom onto what's happening. But many are also "intellectuals" which normally means so much book-learning that they don't know how to open a door without help.

Now, I don't want this to go to OCR, so let's all be careful. And, of course, there are many in the "ban, tax, and ostracize" crowd who knew full well, and KNOW what's happening and are encouraging it to have control over others. Some are such indoctrinated zealots that they really do want us all to eat tofu and drink carrot juice, for our health of course.

But I don't believe a majority of American culture desires this. However, they're going to have to enact this one before most will begin to get angry enough to put a stop to it.

In the mean time, I make iced tea and drink Chek drinks instead of Co-Cola.