Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
Elwin
Starting Member

Puros Indios Siembra de Oro Perla Review

Disclaimer:These are my initial impressions of the new cigar from the Reyes family, distributed by Cigars International.
These are fresh off the truck, and I expect them to change with rest and aging.
But when ever I try a new brand (to me), I always try one within a day of delivery. I usually then try another at one week of rest.
Then I may or may not try another at 2 weeks, a month, and so on through about 6 months.
If they've shaped up by then, I find them tasty enough to offer to friends.
If not, they go into the "Yardgar - Too drunk to notice" humidor.

Puros Indios Siembra de Oro Perla
5.0" x 38
Bundle of 20 = 19.99

While the information on CI's site is scant at best, these appear to be either an Ecuadorian or Sumatran wrapper.
Filler and binder are not listed in the description.
As a matter of fact, other than their maker, the only info listed is that they were aged for 3 years before shipping.
But I'm not really surprised.
CI's descriptions and their personal reviews are often humorous, but rarely impartial... so I always take them with a large grain of salt.

Anyway, since they are a Puros Indios cigar, I'm going to guess that they are a basic mix of the same tobaccos used in his other PI blends, but that's just a guess.

The Perla is a petite corona in size.
The wrapper is medium brown in color, with a mottled color and texture similar to burl wood.
Odor is a faint tobacco, with no noticeable ammonia as some cigars are prone to.
The cigar is fairly solid in feel, with no obvious hard or soft spots.

I use a punch to open the nicely capped head.
The pre-light draw is open and easy with no sign of resistance.
I get a slight sweetness with a good strong classic tobacco flavor from the prelight draw. Not the sweet cocoa flavor I get from the PI Viejo, but very nice just the same.

I usually test the cigar band at this point, and with a twisting motion, the band appears to be free from the wrapper, so rather than sliding it off, and risk tearing the wrapper, I flip up the loose end of the band and pop it off.
(If the band had been stuck with glue, I might have tried later, after the cigar had warmed, but I like to get rid of the band as soon as I can. Just my personal preference.)

Alright, let's light it up. (I'm doing this in real time, typing as I smoke.)

I use a Blazer "Little Buddy" torch to get it started.
I like to get that initial smoke odor, and it's not a strong smell. Just a mild, pleasant tobacco.

The first draw is a little harsh taste wise, but not unusual for most cigars.
The taste into the first quarter inch is bland. Not the usual earthiness of a Viejo full size corona, but again, this is a smaller cigar. I do my first retro-hale, and now I get my first taste of leather.

I'm now a half inch in, and the draw is very open and loose, even with a punch cut. I have to watch myself and pause from time to time, as a loose draw like this can get hot fast.

The burn is a hair wobbly, but not bad. No runs and it appears to be self adjusting
About 3/4 in. in, the cigar has gone out. Evidently, it's a bit wet, and my fear of it burning hot let it go out. Just a quick touch of the torch and it lights right back up.
Flavor wise, I'm not getting a lot of variety, just a nice leather with a touch of sweet. The wrapper flavor reminds me of a Dominican Montecristo for some reason.
2 inches in now, and I find that the ash gets a little loose at about 3/4", but then again, I'm typing with it in my left hand so I may be jarring it as I go...
The cap is nice and strong, so it gives me a chance to chew it without shredding, which is a big plus in my book.
I'm getting a slight nic buzz. Nothing strong. Pleasantly relaxing.

Burn is still nice and even, though I have to be careful not to let it go out again. I haven't felt the need to purge, because while the flavor is stronger, it hasn't gone bitter.

Now 2 inches left to go.
No pepper, no bitter tastes.
Maybe a hint of vanilla.
At this point I'm calling this a mild-medium strength cigar, and that's another plus in my book.
I like a full body cigar from time to time, but not unless it's after a big steak dinner.

1 and a 1/2 inches left, and I'm surprised it hasn't gone hot just just yet.
Looks like I'll be able to nub this one to an inch. Another big plus for me.

I check the clock and realize that I've now been with this cigar almost 45 minutes, which considering it's a petite corona that I've only re-lit once is pretty impressive.
Again, I did baby it a bit, but that's not bad at all.

At about 1 inch, it's getting warm and soft, so time to stop before the good times turn bad.

Final conclusions: Considering it was straight off the truck, and that it was probably a tad more humid than I usually smoke them at?
Not a bad cigar at all!
Time and rest can only improve these, and while some would consider this a "one dimensional" smoke?
One dimension doesn't suck if it's a good dimension.

I can hardly wait 'til next week to try another one.

Last edited by Elwin; 09-24-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Elwin is offline   Reply With Quote