Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2006, 07:20 PM   #1
steve60

My first Punch SS No. 1

Punch Super Selection No. 1 HTM MAR '04

Corona Grande 6 1/8" X 42

Purchased: February, 2006 $6.38

This was my first full cabinet purchase and I placed it in my "Aging" coolerdor with the intention of letting it rest for several years before ever disturbing it. Well, now it's four months later and my best intentions lost out to my curiousity.

Thank God for curiousity!

Appearance: Light Brown and gorgeous; somewhat like Halle Berry but without her beautiful smile.

Construction: Almost flawless from Triple Capa to foot with a few small veins coursing the length of the cigar and one small crack in the wrapper about an inch above the foot ( Sorry Halle, I can't equate this cigars construction to yours because to my eye your construction is flawless).

Burn: Had one green spot at the foot which refused to light initially, but once lit the burn evened out for the rest of the smoke.

Draw: Near perfect and almost effortless draw.

Aroma: Strong tobacco aromas pre-light changing to pleasant woody sweetness after the light.

Flavor/ Taste/ Quality: I wasn't sure what to expect as my last couple of cigars this week both finished rather harshly so I was a little gun shy. When I opened my aging coolerdor to let it breathe this afternoon, I was drawn to this Cabinet as if by a Siren's voice and I was too weak to resist.

My lips first pull on this beauty let me know I had made a wise choice. The reward was ample smooth smoke with a slightly sweet woody flavor. Very well balanced and medium in body this cigar led to a very enjoyable hour of smoking pleasure. The rich flavors of cedar, light spice and dark chocolate left a great taste in my mouth. I was surprised by the relatively tame tannins in this young cigar and pleased that it never turned harsh as I smoked it to the nub.

This great young cigar surprised me and left a strong impression even in its youth while reminding me I have forty-nine experiences to savor in the future.

I'd have to rate the Super Selection No. 1 in my current top five of favorites and I look forward to any future calls from the Sirens inside this Cab.

P.S. This has to be the best value priced cigar out there and if you like the 42 Ring Gauge, do yourself a favor and jump in for a Cab of these.

...Mr. Breeze Baby!"
steve60 is offline   Reply With Quote