Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2002, 02:44 PM   #1
Thairlar
Club Member

This cigar is a robusto with a medium brown, medium to heavily veined, fairly toothy wrapper with some spotting. It appears to have a double or triple cap, although it's hard to tell which because it's uneven. It seems a little soft and moist, despite being left at room humidity in the box for almost two weeks, although it could be due to being shipped wet. Pre-light aroma is a nice, pungent, spicy, honest tobacco aroma. The head cut cleanly, and pre-light draw is on the looser side of medium.

The initial taste after lighting is earthy, woody and sweet. The ash is light gray with the tooth of the wrapper apparent on it, and it produce a good volume of white smoke.

The flavors developed nicely throughout this smoke. The woodiness slowly increased as I smoked it, and a nice spiciness started developing in the second third. The burn was even throughout and required no correction. I was able to get the ash to an inch and a half.

Overall, this appears to be a good medium-full flavored smoke, with strength to match, that will probably make its way into my regular lineup if the rest of the box remains fairly consistent with this first one. It seems to be a cigar that's rolled by somewhat inexperienced rollers, judging from the even cap, with wrappers that have some slight cosmetic defects. However, it doesn't seem to have an effect on the flavor which seems typical of other Honduran cigars.

The name brings to mind a smoke that a frugal grandfather would buy, as it's a great smoke for the price. The boxes go for $30, and singles for $1.90. Given the economy, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's hurting. I'd definitely recommend giving these a try to anyone looking for a good bargain smoke based on the one I just had. I'll follow up once I smoke one or two more to let you know if the box is consistent.