Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 01-19-2002, 01:42 PM   #1
ab

Recently received a Cigar Oasis. The air does not flow out of the side grate area as designed. However, the air does flow out of the front and the back of the unit.

Has anyone experienced the same thing

It was suggested to me to use electrical tape around the unit. I don't think I want to do that.

What do you guys think

Thanks in advance
ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 10:28 PM   #2
macattak

Have you contacted the seller or the mfg?

"she had grey-green skin, a doll with a pin - I told her she was alright but I couldn't come in."

mack
macattak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 10:24 AM   #3
mhotek

What you are describing is normal. The fan pushes air into the unit and that air is released around the seam between the top and bottom parts around the front and rear of the unit. There is a very small air flow out the side grate that gets lost among the larger flow around the front of the unit.

Does it make sense? No, but there are several design features of the Cigar Oasis that make absolutely no sesne except to the person who designed it.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:04 AM   #4
Arlin

I too am a 'reseller' of the Cigar Oasis, not the manufacturer, and Humidor maker who uses them in the Humidors I make.

I too have noticed changes/differences in the current Cigar Oasis from the original ones I received.

I too would advice [as a pratical remedy] the use of electrical tape to assure the air flow as I understood from their website.

See: http://www.cigaroasis.com/images/cig...s-1drawing.jpg

At the risk of being 'blacklisted' by Cigar Oasis, I agree it is disappointing to see a deterioration in the fit finish & functionality.

Nonethless, none of us [other than Cigar Oasis] KNOW why the fit of the cartriges has changed and why the adjustment knob needs to be turned with a screw driver rather than as originally by finger tip.

Be assured, those of use who use Cigar Oasis Humidifiers in the Humidors we make [that I have spoken with] are also disappointed, but are hands are tied! We can offer remedies, and express our concerns to the manufacturer, but bear in mind there may well be factors ONLY the folks at Cigar Oasis are aware of that cannot be overcome and this is the best they can offer.

The people at Cigar Oasis I deal with are sincere and I believe are trying to do the best they can.

And for the cost its still functionally a good item, not prefect, but without a comparable alternative!
Old 01-20-2002, 11:27 AM   #5
mhotek

I don't think you have to worry about being blacklisted. Between the 2 of us, we sell too many of them to be blacklisted. We've expressed the same concerns on them. I'd add getting rid of the little cap that fit over the exposed circuitry. The list of things they could do very easily is quite long. If they'd incorporate the design suggestions many of us have made, they'd have a significantly better product.

Interesting that you also use a screwdriver to turn the knob. I thought it might have been the units I had for my personal use, but have found it to be normal. Haven't found a better way to adjust it since there isn't any prayer you could turn it with your fingers.

I haven't found an impact on maintaining humidity because of the way the air flows. Where I place them, I'm actually better off with the air flow coming out the front and back. (Well, maybe not the back since it just blows straight into the humidor wall.) It would be nice if the air actually came up through the top, but that's another design thing...
Old 01-20-2002, 12:24 PM   #6
Bob Staebell

I have to echo the above comments re the CigarOasis on current fit. Ab purchased one from me & after speaking with him, I pulled open several of the new units & refills & compared it with several from earlier lots.

There always has been some air flow at the seam, but the gap at the seam, particularly on the ends is larger on these due to a slight bowing in the refill cartridge, which will allow more air to escape at the ends.

No big deal if you have a traditional set up, but not usefull if one is trying to direct airflow only in the direction of the outlet. That's why I sent Ab another set of cartridges from an earlier run & suggested he use electrical tape if he wanted to direct 100% air flow.

I don't think CigarOasis is going to produce one that is airtight at the seam, nor for most folks applications does it need to be.

Cheers,

Bob Staebell
www.aristocrathumidors.com
Bob Staebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 01:35 PM   #7
roncarlos

Just went out and bought some electrical tape. arlin, thanks for the advice. I have one more thing to add. Bob and Arlin, its a lot more entertaining when you both disagree...
Old 01-20-2002, 02:01 PM   #8
Arlin

troublemaker!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2002, 05:56 AM   #9
Bob Staebell

"ditto" LOL

Bob Staebell
Bob Staebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 04:31 AM   #10
ab

Thank you all for your comments.

With regards to leaving the unit without modification. Cigar Oasis has designed the air flow to be directed from the grate area away from the unit. The humidity senser is located adjacent to the grate area. Because of the reduced air velocity, humidified air does not get pushed away from the unit as designed. Result, humidity tends to pool around the cigar oasis unit, and humidified air does not get pushed to other areas of the humidor. I tested this using my VWR.

Because of the improper fit and finish of the Cigar Oasis unit it tends to function more as a passive humidification unit as opposed to an active humidfication unit, IMO.

I guess If I want keep it I'll have to dick with it.
ab is offline   Reply With Quote