Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2003, 07:40 AM   #1
ElkTwin

Montecristo Peruvian Fer de Lance

Montecristo Peruvian Fer de Lance
5x44
Filler – Dom/Hon, Binder - Dom, Wrapper H2000

The printed yellow cardboard sleeve slid back to reveal a lovely shiny dark wrapper, gleaming with oil and sporting the glossy Montecristo band. The aroma of the cigar was divine, clear cedar overtones mingling with the spice of exotic tobacco. The stick felt springy to the touch with quite a bit of give, but the exterior construction looked great with even sides and a professional looking cap.

The first burst of flavor to emerge from the smooth drawing cigar was a bit grassy and floral, and reminded me of green vegetation. The cigar burned fast and hot, it had a medium light body and a sour finish that irritated the sides of my tongue. I tried to enjoy this cigar, as I’ve had samples of this blend that really impressed me, but this particular cigar was really off. There was a section of cigar in the center almost an inch in length that seemed to have almost no filler, squeezing down to almost nothing. It was very distracting and led to the harsh burn I’m sure.

The ash was dark gray at the beginning and clung stubbornly for the inch and a half that I smoked. And the aroma emitted by the cigar was decent if not overly impressive. I wanted to couple this cigar with a spiced cider because of the flavors I remembered from earlier samples, but I never made it to the cabinet because the cigar just failed to impress from the start.

Overall this cigar was a clear dud. Suffering from bad construction, a faulty blend, and a general foulness that left a horrible taste in my mouth, I hope that I never run across another example with this level of nastiness. Not recommended, but I will try again later.

Appearance: 10/10
Construction: 5/10
Flavor: 10/20
Finish: 6/10
Smoking experience: 10/20
Aroma: 8/10
Overall impression: 10/20

Total: 59/100