Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2005, 05:40 AM   #1
Black Plague
Herf Meister

Stickler for fresh coffee

I used to hate coffee...

Because coffee to me was the Folgers swill my grandparents drank. Hell, they've drank it for 40+ years and they still have to drown it in milk and sugar to make it even approach palatable.

Then, like I'm sure many here did, I discovered Starbuck's and all the espresso-based drinks. First, I'd only drink flavored stuff like mocha (which I do still like for a sweet breakfast treat) and flavor-shots in lattes and cappuccinos, etc.

It wasn't really until I started smoking cigars that I learned to appreciate the natural flavor of coffee. And honestly, I think coffee tastes even better paired with a cigar than by itself.

But I'm a total nazi when it comes to freshness.

If the coffee I'm drinking is more than a week or maybe two old (and that's assuming its been stored properly), I won't touch the shit. The smell of stale coffee and that acrid, piss-like taste makes nauseous.

And what really sucks is I don't drink a whole lot of coffee, so even a half-pound is probably more than what I can drink in a week or two. And what's worse is that all the places around here (Bloomington, IN) its hard to get good, fresh coffee.

Grocery store coffee....bleck . The local Marsh actually puts the roasting date on their bags...and most of them, no joke, are at least two months old. Copper Cup is a good coffee shop, but does the same shit of vacuum packing their coffee with no date on it. When I asked the girl working the counter if there was any way to tell the date, she said it'd be fresh since its vacuum packed. I had to call BS on that one, since I'd bought a half-pound from there before of Kenya AA that smelled like piss right out the bag.

My last hope is some place called Runcible Spoon. I called some of the coffee shops around here asking if they sold whole beans and whether it was just vacuum packed or sold by the ounce. RS was the only place in town that sold by the ounce, and hopefully whoever's working the counter can actually tell me when the crap was roasted.

God, getting fresh coffee is such work . I'd roast my own, but my apartment's crammed as it is without trying to fill it even more with some roasting tool and bags of green coffee. I love Mr. Jerry's stuff (but like I said, I can't drink a half-pound in a week) and I love the coffee shop in my hometown of New Albany, where they roast it every Tuesday and sell by the ounce.

You think a big college town like Bloomington would actually have decent java And plus, I have the Army to look forward to, and we all now how famous they are for their brew

Anyone else lamenting for good coffee?
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote