Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Pairing Single Malt Scotch Whiskies with Cigars

There has been much discussion in this forum of many, many spirits and their individual merits. Nevertheless, relatively little has been 'spoken' as to specific recommendations for pairing these liquors with cigars. With this in mind, I thought it might be interesting and informative for us to share some of our best-liked combinations. Given that I enjoy Scotch whisky with cigars so much, let me describe a few matches I've found uncommonly tasty. And please DO add your favourite successes to the list!

Aberlour a'buandh
Cohiba Siglo VI

With its pronounced Sherry overtones and velvety texture, this high-proof Highlander combines in an enchanting, soothing manner with the pastry-like tobacco profile of the rich Cañonazo.

Ardbeg 10 Year Old
Bolívar Coronas Junior

The tantalizing transition in taste of this single malt from sweetness to surging smoke and citrus salt requires a suitably vibrant cigar. The Bolívar Minutos possesses a pfeffernusse cookie spiciness that meshes extremely well with the Islay whisky.

Ardbeg 1977
Ramon Allones Gigantes

Should you happen to have a bottle of this elixir sequestered away in your liquor cabinet, I would heartily suggest you try pairing it with the equally exceptional RA Prominente. You will then sense how beautifully the pungent, oily vintage Ardbeg melds on the palate with the multifaceted, exotic woodiness of the large Cuban. An excellent alternative would be to pour some cask-strength Caol Ila.

Balvenie 10 Year Old Founders Reserve
Juan Lopez Selección No.2

Here, the rippling honeyed overtones and balancing spicy oak of the Fiddich valley whisky play off the praline and coffee nuances of the cigar to perfection.

Balvenie 12 Year Old Double Wood
Vegas Robaina Famosos

The sweet and dry characteristics of both Sherry cask finished single malt and Cuban cigar provide for a warm and comforting tempo of taste sensations.

Balvenie 21 Year Old Port Wood
Bolívar Coronas Gigantes or Hoyo de Monterrey Double Coronas

The confectionery-like persona of the venerable Balvenie slides seamlessly beneath the opulent complexity of the earthy, chocolate-tinged Bolívar, and also works wonders with the milder Caramilk bar core of the Hoyo. Your choice.

Bowmore Darkest
Bolívar Belicosos Finos or Partágas Serie D No.4

The sweet, salty and smoky characteristics of the Sherry cask finished Islay single malt mesh harmoniously into the relatively robust tastes of both the earth-laden Bolívar Campana and the spicy Partágas Robusto.

Glenlivet 18 Year Old
H. Upmann Magnum 46

The rich Upmann tobacco taste, imbued with nuts and spices, pairs beautifully with the gentle smoked peach demeanour of the Glenlivet.

Glenmorangie 10 Year Old
Romeo y Julieta Churchill

The ethereal yet persistent malt and spice complexity of the northern Highlander accentuates every shift in taste and texture of this classic Julieta 2.

Highland Park 18 Year Old
Cohiba Siglo IV

I'd be hard pressed to think of a cigar and single malt Scotch that better exemplify an effortless sense of complexity and composure.

Lagavulin Distillers Edition
La Gloria Cubana Médaille d'Or No.4

At first glance, you'd think this whisky might overpower the LGC. But such is not the case! Finished off in select Pedro Ximénez Sherry wood, this Islay gem, with its smoky to sherried ebb and flow of flavour, manages to elicit the full range of subtly honeyed, herbaceous and spicy tastes of the Palmitas.

And for those willing to forego single malts in favour of blends...

Johnnie Walker 18 Year Old Gold Label
Partágas Serie du Connaisseur No.1

The flashes of Clynelish emanating from this most stylish of whiskies provide a perfect carpet for the tapestry of tastes of the Delicados to settle upon.