Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 12-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
ElkTwin
Ungulate in Chief
Club Member

Oven repair 101

20-year-old GE electric stove. So old the tag with the model number is illegible. A few years ago the temperature was off and making it hard to bake cakes. Stacy says time for a new one; I said hold my mimosa. Reset the thermostat. Last year it was throwing error codes. Stacy said to replace it; I said hold my beer. The fan was gunked up and not moving sufficient air to cool the main circuit board. Took 10 minutes to fix. Last night she was making Yorkshire pudding and I noticed the heating element resting on the oven floor. Eeeeeek! Replace it! Not so fast my friend, hold my eggnog. New element en-route for installation tomorrow.

It's a box that makes hot air. Unless it actually bursts into flames I can repair it.

ElkTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

After dealing with and repairing just about everything but the door for the last ten years, I finally got the new one with the double ovens.

Been puny last couple of days and K and the kids made Christmas dinner. Said she never realized how much work it was to fix it and clean up the mess.

I can't tell you how much that warmed my heart to hear that.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
ElkTwin
Ungulate in Chief
Club Member

Amen!!!
ElkTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

And I still have the owners manual. Maybe some one on eBay is looking for one.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
jeepdad
Club Member

ElkTwin, one of these days you're gonna wake up with a butcher knife in your chest. You may win the battle but lose the war over the oven with Mrs ElkTwin. She will reach her limit.

I have a gas oven/stovetop. My issue is the lowest setting on the stovetop is still way too high to simmer. I recently had an appliance repair guy out to lower the setting. "It can't be lowered" said he as he took his $100 just for showing up fee. Now, I'm thinking to put some kind of makeshift diffuser on the stovetop so I can simmer when needed.
jeepdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:53 AM   #6
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdad View Post
I have a gas oven/stovetop. My issue is the lowest setting on the stovetop is still way too high to simmer. I recently had an appliance repair guy out to lower the setting. "It can't be lowered" said he as he took his $100 just for showing up fee. Now, I'm thinking to put some kind of makeshift diffuser on the stovetop so I can simmer when needed.

The handyman in me says put a valve inline on the gas supply line and ALL the burners can be starved for gas at the same time, effectively turning down the heat...but then I will drive a nail with a screwdriver as long as it drives the damned thing.