Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

View Poll Results: Where will Karl Malone play next year?
Utah 0 0%
Los Angeles Lakers 0 0%
San Antonio 0 0%
Dallas 0 0%
Somewhere else 0 0%
He'll retire (yeah, right) 0 0%
1,090 100.00%
Voters: 1090. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2003, 10:10 AM   #1
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

Where will the Mailman deliver to next?

Face it, Jazzfan, it's over. Pasty will retire and Malone will go away. But where?

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:26 AM   #2
stogiesmoker00
Club Member

Tough choice...I had to pick the Jazz but wouldn't be surprised if he goes to the Spurs. When the Jazz played against the Bulls in the finals, I was pulling for the jazz...would have been nice to see them with rings

Here's a good reading:

SALT LAKE CITY -- Utah Jazz owner Larry Miller is upset with Karl Malone again, this time over a story suggesting he might play elsewhere next season.

Sports Illustrated reported this week that Malone's wife, Kay, plans to go househunting in San Antonio and Los Angeles this June in preparation for a possible move from the only NBA city Malone has ever played in. Malone will be a free agent this summer.

Miller vented his anger during the Jazz's pregame television show and later in a meeting with reporters, saying this is no time for Malone's future to be an issue because it could disrupt the team's focus as the Jazz head into the playoffs for the 20th consecutive season.

Malone and Miller have had public spats before, from Malone hinting he might wanted to be traded to talking about leaving as a free agent the last time his contract ran out.

"I've put up with them. I'm not going to put up with them now. If he wants to get into a (public shouting) contest, let's go,'' Miller said. "To throw disruptive hand grenades is not right. It's not fair to his teammates. It's not fair to the coaches. It's not fair to the franchise. It's not fair to me.''

Miller took particular issue with Malone's comment that Miller did not have the courage to tell him when it may be time for him to leave Utah. Miller said he had been honest and forthright with Malone throughout their relationship, and he was hurt that Malone would insinuate otherwise.

Miller said his first choice continues to be having Malone finish his career in a Jazz uniform and break Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's NBA career scoring record.

But he said he would understand if Malone decided to play elsewhere to further his unfulfilled quest for a championship.

Malone has maintained all season that he won't decide until after the playoffs whether he will be playing for the Jazz or anyone else next fall.

"If he's got issues, we can talk about them,'' Miller said. "The end of the season is the time to do this kind of stuff, not as we get ready to go into the playoffs.''

Miller would also like to see Jazz guard John Stockton return for a 20th season, but the veteran guard's status is even less clear than Malone's. Stockton, who turned 41 last month, has said he will decide on his future within a couple weeks of the season's end.

"I have felt that John was much more tenuous than was Karl,'' Miller said. "I have felt most of the season that he would be back, but I've also seen little signs that make me think maybe he's really come to grips with the timing.''

He's dreaming if he wanted to play for the L.A. Lakers but maybe the Clippers will take him

Again it will be the Spurs or he'll stay with the Jazz
Old 04-22-2003, 11:23 AM   #3
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

The only problem with the theory that he'll be a Spur is that he's the most (or at least second most) hated player of the Spursfan. And the Spurs are going to make a hard run for wifebeater Jason Kidd.

I say Mark Cuban undoes Don Carter's mistake (Detlef Schrempf???) and brings Malone to Dallas.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:43 AM   #4
Smoker06
Herf God

I think Malone's only quest left (he'll get the scoring title no matter where he plays) is a championship ring. The Lakers can't use him. The Kings can't use him. Dallas still won't play defense even if they have him. So his best bet is with the Spurs.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:39 PM   #5
scott1966
Herf Meister

Maybe the Spurs? or retire.
scott1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 12:43 PM   #6
Las Villas
Herf Meister

I vote Spurs......Duncan has already said he would love to have Malone next to him, plus Robinson is retiring and Malone wants a ring........Spurs is the way to go if he wants that!!!
Old 04-22-2003, 02:33 PM   #7
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

he still has a house in Dallas, and after they get thumped out of the playoffs again for a lack of rebounding and defense, he will look attractive.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote