Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #11
bigw
Club Member

So now,,I must drive out of state to buy the cigars I can't get online..New Jersey has a high tax,,so I guess I'll drive to Pennsylvania,,While I'm there with the family,,,maybe we'll stay the night in a hotel in Pennsylvania,,,,shop in Pennsylvania,,,eat in Pennsylvania,,and if the mood hits me,,buy some fireworks in Pennsylvania...I'll stop there and get gas too because the gas tax in NY is absurd...So NY loses all the way around..I can't wait to retire and get the heck out!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #12
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

The tax was passed into law today. They "dropped" the tax rate to 75%

CW News

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #13
bigw
Club Member

I guess that's supposed to make me happy????
Old 06-24-2010, 09:21 PM   #14
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

No. I'm simply reporting it and how it MIGHT be spun.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Old 08-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #15
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

NOW a New York state assemblyman wants to go after Indian Nations.
The Rest of the Story

Quote:
New York State Legislator Calls for Termination of Indian Nation Because They Fail to Pay Cigarette Taxes to the State
A New York State legislator - Senator Craig M. Johnson - has apparently called for the termination of recognition of the Unkechaug Nation because of its failure to pay cigarette taxes to the state on cigarettes sold to non-tribal members on its reservations, according to an article in Indian Country Today.

According to the article: "Almost 50 years after the termination era ended, a New York state legislator has reintroduced the idea with a recommendation to terminate the Unkechaug Nation. Sen. Craig M. Johnson, a Democrat who represents Long Island where the Unkechaug and their ancestors have lived since time immemorial, issued the recommendation in a June 11 report called “Executive Refusal: Why the State has Failed to Collect Cigarette Taxes on Native American Reservations.” ... Chief Harry Wallace, Unkechaug leader since 1994, said the recommendation is tantamount to advocating “cultural genocide.” “It’s genocide. It’s cultural genocide. That would be the effect of it.” ... Johnson chairs the state Senate’s Standing Committee on Investigations and Government operations, which compiled the report."

"Ten days after publication, legislators passed a bill to force tribal nations to collect taxes on cigarettes sold to non-tribal members on reservations by requiring all cigarettes sold to Indian reservations to have “an affixed cigarette stamp....”
Click through to read the entire article.