Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 03-18-2005, 07:59 AM   #1
Texas Cop
Club Member

Xikar MTX

Anybody own one of these? Any thoughts? Did a quick search here, but didn't find much...I like the idea of having a small pair of scissors, how do they compare to the SAK?

Andrew
You lot say you want to know the 2 most important things about Ireland? Well, first of all, Cane and Abel, they had to be from bloody fucking Belfast, didn't they? Second, in Ireland, we have our own Holy Trinity: Death, Pain, and Suffering.
Texas Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:13 AM   #2
Oracle
Club Member

Use it and like it. Don't like SAK.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:19 AM   #3
Herfin Bigdog
Herf Meister

I was going to order two of the Xikar scissor cutters from an online vendor. This vendor also sells the other Xikar lines of cutters. I had some problems with the vendor and eventually ended up speaking to one of the owners to remedy the situation.

The bottom line was that the owners had received a shipment of these cutters, took a look at them and felt that they were of poor quality and flimsy. They ended up sending them back to Xikar because they did not want to sell an item that they thought was an inferior product.

Swiss Army Knife cutters on the other hand have been well thought of by several members of this BB. If you do a search on SAK or Swiss Army Knife you should find a bunch of threads and posts about them.

To me, a cigar is more than a good smoke; it is a way of life. I love them! And it killed George Burns at 100, so don't give me any crap about health! -- Bert Sugar, Sports Writer
Herfin Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:30 AM   #4
Texas Cop
Club Member

I have the full size SAK..The one they sell as the luxury cigar tool, with the leather wrapped sides...I was looking for something a little smaller, and the MTX looked neat....I'll check the local BMs to see if they have one I can play around with, and if not, I'll stick with what I know, and pick up one of the smaller SAKs..

Andrew
You lot say you want to know the 2 most important things about Ireland? Well, first of all, Cane and Abel, they had to be from bloody fucking Belfast, didn't they? Second, in Ireland, we have our own Holy Trinity: Death, Pain, and Suffering.
Texas Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 10:04 AM   #5
Renaissance Man
Owner Emeritus
Herf God

Skullsucker uses one of these and likes it. Personally, I prefer the way the SAK cuts.
My current rotation: Bolivars (RC, PC, BBF, CE and Corona JR), Punch Punch, El Original Claro Corona and Lancero, Davidoff Grand Cru #1, VR Famoso, Upmann #2, and R&J Churchill.
Renaissance Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 10:49 AM   #6
rutkus
Club Member

i own both, if you are looking for something tiny, the MTX is awesome, I think it cuts really well, has a small little poker and bottle opener, also has a small knife which i've never used, folded its about the same size as a couple of quarters, I really like it when I need a small cutter. I think it cuts just as well as a SAK IMHO.
(,('')('')
rutkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:15 PM   #7
tchapchap
Contributing Editor
Club Member

I find my MTX real handy. It cuts well and it works great for "emergency" repairs like having to cut behind the ash to elimnate a plug. Only drawback is it doesn't work to well on a ciagr larger than about 52 ring.

(___|CW|_______))))~~~~

(unauthorized use of signature prohibited )
tchapchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 11:52 PM   #8
Embers
Club Member

I have never used an Xikar, but I really like my Slimline SAK. It fits nicely into a pocket, very sharp, and looks great with a metal finish. My two cents, I know others prefer other cutters to the SAK.
Embers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 09:14 AM   #9
Herfin Bigdog
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchapchap
... Only drawback is it doesn't work to well on a ciagr larger than about 52 ring.
For me that would be a significant drawback because I often smoke cigars of 50 ring or higher girth. I guess in a pinch, a punch will suffice if I don't have my guillotine cutter with me.

To me, a cigar is more than a good smoke; it is a way of life. I love them! And it killed George Burns at 100, so don't give me any crap about health! -- Bert Sugar, Sports Writer
Herfin Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:24 PM   #10
opusxmarco

I have an MTX on my keychain...comes in handy when you don't want to carry an X1 cutter.

"To smoke or not to smoke...depends if it's a cuban!"
opusxmarco is offline   Reply With Quote