Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
wesley

how the hell can I find the cigar thats for me?

If I tried all the cigars out there I would spend many months and lots of money and would be smoking a lot of cigars that I don't like. so there must be some other way. Maybe if I state what I want in a cigar someone can help. By the way I am evolving to naturals from flavored. so what I want is a mild but somewhat spicy cigar with a distinct taste(maybe they all have a distinct taste) and thats no more that $2 a stick. I am smoking Isla del Sol right now but something tells me that naturals are the way to go. I am also smoking Avanti's and they are a little on the strong side. But again its a flavored cigar. Any ideas on this?"
wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
roadhawg
Contributing Editor

Two suggestions, while urging you to keep in mind that taste is in the tongue of the beholder (one person's "mild" is another person's "strong").

1. Read the info in the postings and reviews on this Forum; there is a ton of good information

2. Find a local B&M and ask a knowledgable employee (or the owner) what he or she would recommend, based on your input.

Remember, smokes can be purchased individually, so you can do a lot of fun experimenting without shelling out for a box until you really find what you like.

My problem....is that I like a lot of them a lot!! Good luck --RH
Old 08-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
MountChuck
Club Member

The best thing you can do is, if there is one, go to your local tobacco shop and put yourself in their capable hands. They will be your best friend when it comes to cigars. Under $2 might be pushing it a bit. $3 or 4 might be a bit more reasonable.
MountChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
AnejoMofo
Club Member

My man, you sound a little stressed. Might I suggest that it takes some time for your palate to develop. Most people aren't born with an inherent appreciation for things like wine, cigars, weird-looking (and tasting) mushrooms, and other things of that nature. These are, for the most part, acquired tastes (we try to acquire them as often as possible ).

My humble advice to you would be to keep smoking a variety of high quality hand rolled cigars. There's a whole range of flavors, strengths, smoking times, and so forth available. It seems like you're on the right path in asking advice from all the guys here with more experience than you or I. It also seems like you're heading in the right direction by beginning to turn away from so-called "flavored" or "infused" "cigars". I would submit that these items aren't really what we all recognize as a cigar. They're kind of a different discussion all together. You wouldn't put MD 20/20 in the same category as a fine Bordeaux; nor would you lump the likes of Busch Light together with Chimay Blue. As your palate develops you'll be able to taste and smell a plethora of different things in a fine cigar. After some more experience it will seem as if a door has opened for you. It won't be difficult to find a cigar you enjoy because your range of experience in cigars will have broadened and you will then have the mental and olfactory tools necessary to appreciate the wealth and diversity of fine cigars out there.

Excluding some very good deals that can be found on the internet, I generally think you're severely handicapping your success by having a two dollar ceiling. In my experience (and speaking from a walk-in B&M pricing perspective), there is a world of difference between a two dollar cigar and a five dollar cigar. Do yourself a favor and step it up a little. I'm not a rich man either, but quality is quality, and it has its price.
I hope this rant helped a little bit.

-AM
"Always have cigars; the rest you can fix." -Ernesto Padilla
_______
RIP Cubano67
AnejoMofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
PLUSH
Club Member

Yep, like you have been told go and ask questions from your local B&M. And smoke, smoke and smoke some more. It may take awhile to find something that you really like. You know, the one that lights up your palate like no other. As most here everyone pretty much starts out with the mild stuff then works there way around the spectrum of flavor. Keep notes as well if you'd like. I know there are people here that do that. It really comes in handy. I mena there are cigars I may have smoked back 2 years ago that I thought were dogs. However, this time the were just right.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
Catdeddy
Herf Meister

ALL of the above is sound, correct, and truly GREAT advice.

But reviews don't/can't taste the cigar for you, nor are your taste bids the same as the person reviewing the cigar. I've got an extensive catalog of reviews that make me want to smoke those cigars, but I really only found a few that I really liked. (I've found creaminess, coffee, steak, chocolate, and tobacco in a cigar, but I'm still trying to find grated orange peel and corriander.) The same can be said for the folks at the local shop. They can help you find a pair of pants, but that doesn't mean that they can try them on for you or that they will look good on you just because they like them.

Meaning--you have to try all those cigars you think you won't like because you might just find one that you do like and no one else does. Listen to these folks, talk to friends, read reviews, and listen to the folks at the local shop, but smoking those cigars yourself is the only way to find out if you will like them.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Has nobody suggested the CW Newbie Sampler Trade Thread to you yet? IMO, that would be a great way to widen your horizons without spending a ton of money.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:25 AM   #8
Catdeddy
Herf Meister

And Cigarbid can help. Buy singles to taste. If in doubt buy another. If they push your buttons, especially right off the bat, go to C-bid for 5ers.

But be careful on C-bid NOT to bid more than the cigars are worth at you local shop.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
laststandchili

Try these; http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...m=CS-5LC&cat=3

They make me very happy, and no one I've gifted them to has spotted them as mixed filler smokes.

Well constructed, spicy, and nicely priced. Especially if you can pick them up on cbid for a few dollars off.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
samiam2
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Has nobody suggested the CW Newbie Sampler Trade Thread to you yet? IMO, that would be a great way to widen your horizons without spending a ton of money.
Do it man...Just tell the FOG what you are trying to accomplish and they will take care of you.. samiam2