Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:40 AM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

cA's Ten Things to Know about Candela

I just saw this article over on another social media platform and shared it to our CW group there.

But, of course, it needs to be here, too.
cA has just published their list of their ten things to know about candela-wrapped cigars.

I know Jas. tried to get a group buy going three years ago, but I think it fizzled

Quote:
Candela cigars are cigar shop oddities. They are green, the color of a frog, a pool table or an empty bottle of Sprite, and they have a long, intriguing history. Some people love them, but others abhor them, making them in some ways the anchovies of the cigar world.

They Once Were The Powerhouses Of The Humidor. Green cigars spent many years as the most popular type of cigars sold in America. They were so popular in the U.S. they became known as American Market Selection smokes. (English Market Selection cigars had natural wrappers, the type we see on the vast majority of cigars today.) Connecticut-shade supplanted candelas starting in the early 1980s, and green cigars began to fade from popularity, especially among handmade cigars...

A Candela Made A Cigar Legend Sick. Today, Ernesto Perez-Carrillo is one of the most revered people in the cigar world. When he was a young man of 18, he lit his first candela cigar while embarking on a long drive. “I got into my Mustang and lit a candela panatela…I really wanted to get the aroma of the tobacco,” he says. He smoked the cigar, and about an hour later he got sick. “It’s not a regular smoke of mine,” he says with a laugh.
According to the list, Candela is easy and quick to process, just three days in a VERY hot barn. Thus, the farmers like making them, in-and-out.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I did and it did. Funny thing is, EPC's candela under the LGC brand was the best candela I ever smoked. Only available from Thompsons. Don't know if they make them anymore.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
Shadow
Charter Member
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
I did and it did. Funny thing is, EPC's candela under the LGC brand was the best candela I ever smoked. Only available from Thompsons. Don't know if they make them anymore.
I agree about the EPC. The worst one I ever had was a Fuente 858 candela, tasted like when you would take a drink from a water hose.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:51 PM   #4
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Given today's tastes, it would be damn near impossible to make a blend that could go commercial. Lew Rothman told us years ago that until the 1970s, almost all cigars came in candela, aka American Market Selection. When I was growing up, my dad smoked Dutch Masters panatelas. I have no memory of what kind of wrapper they came in.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:46 AM   #5
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I agree about the EPC. The worst one I ever had was a Fuente 858 candela, tasted like when you would take a drink from a water hose.

You big NINNY.

I like the 858 Candela...I have one on occasion when I can find them. My local has them most of the time...

Camacho makes one too, I am not aware of the blend but its definitely stronger than the 858. Shop in Biloxi has those.

Jas I think some B&M's have the LGC Candela, I am almost sure the guy in Biloxi has them.

I'll buy you a full selection next time I go.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:19 AM   #6
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

Illusione makes a good Candela. the 88 comes in two sizes. I have yet to try Espinoza's Wasabi, but there is a new company, E&A, that has a good Candela. Then there's also the Killer Bee/Green Hornet/Kato blends from Black Label Trading Co. That tease in and out with a bit of candela mixed in with the maduro.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:20 PM   #7
SmoKerch
Herf God

I have had several boxes of JR ULT candela coronas.

A very nice summer smoke, especially with a cold, sweet drink. (tea, cola, etc.)

That said, I haven't purchased any in some time.

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:53 AM   #8
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
"On Sale" at Holt's today.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Old 12-16-2020, 07:41 AM   #9
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Arrow

This is TODAY, and likely available until the weekend.

Bobalu Cigar Company

Very Limited OFFER Candela Mania
Buy 5 Toro Grande get 4 Robustos FREE
Buy 6-Pack Collectors Tin Sampler of Artisan Toro Cigars.
We Get 4-Pack of Robustos FREE.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #10
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
This is TODAY, and likely available until the weekend.

Bobalu Cigar Company

Very Limited OFFER Candela Mania
Buy 5 Toro Grande get 4 Robustos FREE
Buy 6-Pack Collectors Tin Sampler of Artisan Toro Cigars.
We Get 4-Pack of Robustos FREE.

Well, BUY EM UP BB, And we will help you try them all!