Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
hoax
Starting Member

New idea for a cheap hot weather storage....

I've been putting a lot of thinking into hot weather storage for the summer months. Forgive me if this has already been discussed but I searched and hadn't seen this idea come up before.

One of the tips I read about here was if you need to store some cigars but don't have a humidor what you can do is put the cigar into a zip lock bag, then put that zip lock back into another zip lock bag with a damp paper towel.

So I think to myself, why not do that and keep the whole thing in the food fridge for temperature control? You could probably easily fit 30 cigars in a gallon sized freezer bag and instead of a paper towel I'd use a handful of those heartfelt bead things. Yeah you would be keeping the cigars at a lower than ideal temperature but the only harm as long as you keep it air tight is slower aging. The only downside I see would having to let the cigars sit in a humidor for a few hours to bring them up to room temperature before smoking.

Any thoughts?
hoax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
SmoKerch
Herf God

Over time, the fridge will draw the moisture out of your cigars, even through the ziplock.

Plus, since the bags are semi gas permeable, eventually your cigars will taste like: onions, lettuce, cheese, and any other old leftover food in your fridge.

Yum!

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
SmokinAFuente
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoKerch
Plus, since the bags are semi gas permeable, eventually your cigars will taste like: onions, lettuce, cheese, and any other old leftover food in your fridge.

Yum!

Old 07-02-2007, 05:02 AM   #4
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoKerch
Over time, the fridge will draw the moisture out of your cigars, even through the ziplock.

Yum!
Aside from the "Yum!" part, there's your answer right there.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:12 AM   #5
hoax
Starting Member

Darn it. I guess my only option is another wine fridge. (My current wine fridge is full of wine)
Old 07-02-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
Harleyrider
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax
Darn it. I guess my only option is another wine fridge. (My current wine fridge is full of wine)
Send me the wine, and then you won't have to buy another wind fridge.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
RIPISME
Starting Member

We're having a bit of a heat wave in here California, its a constant 80 degrees in my apartment . If the heat doesn't let up I'm going to get a mini-fridge.
RIPISME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

Re: New idea for a cheap hot weather storage....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax
I've been putting a lot of thinking into hot weather storage for the summer months. Forgive me if this has already been discussed but I searched and hadn't seen this idea come up before.

One of the tips I read about here was if you need to store some cigars but don't have a humidor what you can do is put the cigar into a zip lock bag, then put that zip lock back into another zip lock bag with a damp paper towel.

So I think to myself, why not do that and keep the whole thing in the food fridge for temperature control? You could probably easily fit 30 cigars in a gallon sized freezer bag and instead of a paper towel I'd use a handful of those heartfelt bead things. Yeah you would be keeping the cigars at a lower than ideal temperature but the only harm as long as you keep it air tight is slower aging. The only downside I see would having to let the cigars sit in a humidor for a few hours to bring them up to room temperature before smoking.

Any thoughts?
Just turn on the A/C on low and leave it on. It's not that expensive compared to the cost of your cigars.

Now, if you have a cooler, just place frozen ice paks in a plastic container. Take out any humidifiers that you normally use. The ice paks will keep the cigars cool and and supply all the humidity that you need.

** Replace ice paks when they defrost.
fvfanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:46 PM   #9
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvfanmc
Now, if you have a cooler, just place frozen ice paks in a plastic container. Take out any humidifiers that you normally use. The ice paks will keep the cigars cool and and supply all the humidity that you need.

** Replace ice paks when they defrost.
Two problems with that idea. First, you'll likely be replacing ice packs at least daily in order to keep the temps down, which is a hassle. Second (and more important, ice packs will actually take humidity *out* of the air in the cooler. All that water that condenses on the outside of the ice packs comes out of the air that surrounds them, which drops the RH inside the cooler.

Put ice pack in cooler, RH drops as water condenses on surface of ice pack. RH only rises after ice pack equilibrates to temperature inside cooler and water evaporates. Simple physics, really.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #10
hoax
Starting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvfanmc
Just turn on the A/C on low and leave it on. It's not that expensive compared to the cost of your cigars.
Ha.

*checks humidor*

I have roughly $18 of sticks right now.