Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
sucol
Club Member

Report from the Newark (NYC) Show

Let me start by encouraging all CW Pipe Room regulars to seek out and attend a pipe show in 2007 if at all possible. There is always something neat and unexpected that will happen - you'll meet someone you've read of or met online, you'll see some unique pipes and accessories, and will spend some time with a room full of other like minded chaps. Check out www.pipeshowsusa.com for info.

Let me also say how much I hate - HATE - driving anywhere within a one-hour radius of New York City. Despite this, traffic around Newark was pretty light (by their standards) as I pulled into the Ramada Inn located next to the Newark International Airport. I arrived around 10:30 AM, the trip from Binghamton, New York having taken approximately 3 hours.

The Newark Shows (there will be 3 this year - the next 2 in September and December, respectively) are fairly small. There are a couple of hundred people in attendance, and about 40 exhibitors. The hotel (all of New Jersey) is now NON-SMOKING, so to smoke you have to step outside or go up to one of the many SMOKING rooms that exhibitors and attendees have rented. Geezz!

A couple of the regular exhibitors could not be there - P&T Magazine and Cornell & Diehl Tobacco. I missed both, especially C&D, as they give out a ton of free samples, and it provides a nice opportunity to scope out some of their blends. They were scheduled to appear, but illness prevented their attendance.

Smoker's Haven was there from Columbus, Ohio - they are regulars and always have some interesting pipes and their own shop blends as well.

Michael Linder (www.thepiperack.com) was present, with beautiful examples of his own carving, and some great new and estate pipes as well. My friend Jim Schaefer, from Syracuse, NY bought another Linder (he has a few) and a nice Castello, too!

R. D. Field had a spectaluar display of pipes, including Don Carlos and Barbi.

My favorite vendor, Hermit Pipe Works (www.pipestyle.com) were there, and I bought a Dunhill Thames Oak from them (my one purchase of the show).

Actually, that was my one PIPE purchase - I did pick up some VA/PER blends from Habana Premium Cigar Shoppe (www.pipesandcigars.com) from Albany, New York. They are sponsoring their own show in Albany on April 21, 2007. (Info. on their web site).

I also sold one pipe - a 1999 Dunhill 5101 Shellbriar apple made for the RTDA Show in Las Vegas.

Oh yeah - Nanna Ivarsson was there from Denmark with 2 of her pipes - a bent and a "blowfish" - both beautiful - she quoted me a price of $2800.00 - but I think it must have been for both!

The show is put on by Richard Esserman, who I have know since 1978, when we were just buying our first premium pipes. He has become one of the world's foremost experts on pipes, but is just as friendly and unassuming as when I first met him nearly 3 decades ago.

All in all, I had a great time - and only got lost once on the way home (in Newark - scenery like the opening credits of The Sopranos - before it gets nice!!)

Attend a show, you guys - you'll be glad you did!