Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
wattsd

Siglo

Well I just finished the Siglo III which is a 6.5X44. The construction of the cigar was very good, firm to the touch with no soft spots. It has a beautiful wrapper (Ecuadorian Cubano) which has a sheen of oil and teeth to boot!

I clipped it using a double guillitine cutter without a fuss. The cap removed came off in one entire piece without any loose tobacco. The cigar immediately returned to its round shape after cutting. Prelight draw was perfect, not too loose, not too tight.

Using a single flamed torch, I toasted the foot and let it rest. First few puffs were very full in flavor. Almost leathery, but "chewy". Meaning it coated my entire mouth with flavor and remained there for some time afterward.

The first third of the cigar continued like this with some attention being demanded by the wrapper to remain even burning. At some points i could taste this happening, tasted like moist unburned tobacco. It was easily fixed with a flick of the torch.

The second third of the cigar was a lot like the first. No new flavors developed. It seemed to just be a more intense version of the flavors observed in the first third.

The last third invited a bit of spicyness to the palate with a more intense taste of earth and ceder. Very full flavored, and like before, chewy.

Overall I was a bit disappointed with the progression, or lack thereof, of different flavors but was surprised by how "in your face" the cigar developed. It let you know in the beginning that the taste was going to stay with you a while.

It ended with about as much excitement as it began. The 6.5" cigar only needed ashing 4 times, and when the ash hit the floor it remained almost intact, given to the fine construction. I would say it is a good full flavored smoke for the $7 but could benefit from some aging. I definately think if it was smoked any faster than the 70 minutes I gave it, it could be somewhat harsh and overpowering. Perhaps I even smoked it too fast (i DO that often). I nubbed it feeling content with what I smoked. I felt "full" afterward, which is kinda the goal of a cigar.

I would recomend it to anyone liking a nice full bodied smoke at a reasonable price. I personally don't think a bigger RG would benefit this cigar but I could be wrong.

OH, and the band reminded me of another cigar i've seen but just, cant, place it.

wattsd is offline   Reply With Quote