Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2004, 05:51 PM   #1
will_77

opus xxx (power ranger)

This is my first cigar review ever, so please be gentle.

I was called by a good friend and informed that he had picked up two opus x at the jrcigar store on Fifth Ave in New York on his recent trip. Upon asking him what size he bought, he replied: "I'm not sure, I just bought two of whatever they had". Well, tonight I dropped by his house to smoke one with him, and low and behold I see the size of the opus with the red band and knew he had picked up two xxx opus power rangers.

The cap on this cigar was utterly perfect in construction with the mini belecoso ending in a nice rounded conical tip. The cigar was quite firm to the pinch test. Unlit draw was neither too tight nor loose, perfect in my book. Burn was good, only needing a touchup or two during the duration of the cigar. This cigar definitely rates as full-bodied in my book, with many spicy notes. I smoked this cigar to the nub, spending an hour and a half on a beautiful clear Alabama night with temps in the mid fifties to finish this cigar.

This cigar is not something I would regularly seek out on my own, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and I would definitely smoke another one. I have not enjoyed an opus since 2000, since availability is limited to say the least and there are no sources for these local to me. My personal prejudice against paying more than MSRP for any cigar probably contributes to this fact. All in all, this is what cigar smoking is all about, a good cigar on a beautiful night with a good friend.