Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
Maccabee

reference Guide for cigars.

OK im refreshing my cigar knowledge, or i should say trying to get it all straight in my head yet again. so correct me as i list what i think i know so far.
Vitola - size of a cigar EX: 5 x 50
Lancero or Rubusto (or similar names) - the name of a specific vitola EX: the above vitola is 5 x 50 which is named rubusto.
Body- refers to the potency of the flavor.
Strength: refers to the potency of the cigar as a whole. EX: I can have a full bodied cigar (full of flavor), but a mild strength. ( does not hit to hard). Same can be said of Alcohol.
Notes: refers to the taste and flavors one gets from a cigar, though not always literally. EX: a cigar may have notes of wood, hay, earth, nuts, coffee and so on, but that does not always mean it literally tats like those things but rather what comes to mind as a the best description one can give. (subjective)
Corojo: a kind of tobacco plant from the Jamastran valley Honduras. mostly used as a wrapper. (there are many different types of tobacco, all have different properties that effect the notes one may get. criollo is an ex of another type of tobacco. anymore i should add to this? would Connecticut be a tobacco leaf or fermentation, is it only about where it comes from? )
Legero: is a part of the tobacco leaf, it is highest point of the leaf. it is also the strongest part and burns slower.
Seco: is the middle part of the leaf, and is medium in strength.
Volado: the lowest part and the weakest part of the tobacco leaf.
maduro: a dark cigar, typically if more complex cigar. refers also to the fermentation process. EX: a cigar can be maduro or natural wrapper which means, for a maduro, it was allowed to ferment in the sun longer, thus more oils comes to the surface and leading to the darker look. (now, how does this differ from "sun grown"?)
ok, this is all i could think of at the moment. I would like to type up this stuff and make my own little reference guide as i i need reminding from time to time and it allot to get straight. so if anything is wrong please correct it for my little guide. also any suggestions would be great too.

Last edited by Maccabee; 07-12-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Maccabee is offline   Reply With Quote