Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
Boomer

Do you ask your local B&M if they have the cigar you jus

I'm just curious. I get this question AAAALLLLLL the time.

Do you have fill in the blank cigar?

I say: "Yes."

He responds: "Can I see it?"

"Sure."

"How much is it?"

"$Price$."

"Oh. I just ordered/got a box of these."

(By the way - I'm not sure how I'm supposed to react to this last comment.)

Just wondering if he is trying to make himself feel better by coming and seeing how much he saved on a box. ( I think that most people know by now that you can probably save money on line.)

Or if it is a ritual to make the guy at the cigar shop go through the motions - teasing him as if you are actually an interested customer. 9.5 times out of 10 this guy walks out without buying a thing.

Please enlighten me . . . .
Old 05-24-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
H311oLHD
Herf Meister

LOL i dont understand why they would do that...cant they just look for the cigar & its price on their own & keep this information to themselves how much they saved?! Sorry to hear about these stupid guys....

good luck w/ business!!!!

-AJ
H311oLHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
truzoom
Starting Member

Sounds like a rude customer to me. I work at a small electronics shop and we have a few people that routinely come in saying "just checking to see if you have this rare part in stock". They'll browse around for a few and then walk out the door, all the while I'm stuck at the counter to offer help.

Sadly, I don't know if there is much you can do about it. Maybe do an eBay thing and put a sign on the door that says SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY, DO NOT WASTE MY TIME.

If I visit a local shop and I end up asking the owner about xx cigar, I'll usually grab something on the way out as a gesture of appreciation for their time.
truzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:10 PM   #4
Anodyne
Club Member

Just respond: "Yes, but did the cigars you ordered online get thoroughly run under the noses of a few dozen cigar connoisseurs? I thought not. Snot adds to the flavor, you know."
Old 05-25-2006, 12:04 AM   #5
smelly4tay

Tell the customer the cigars he bought online are fake
smelly4tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:21 AM   #6
stevenvv

Definitely bad form, I say pistol whip the illiterate SOB>

Seriously though I just dropped about $280.00 at one of the local B&Ms over a 2 day frenzy. (I had 2 surgeries and was down for over 3 months).

I will not hesitate to buy stuff that is hard to get (AF SunGrowns, Ashton VSGs, Padron 2000, or Londres Maduros) as long as the price is competetive with mail order, something not easy for the locals to do here in Michigan.

On the other hand his Perdomo Reserve maddies are $80.oo a box more than mail order, Punch Rothchilds btb $80 more too. Go figure

God Bless the B&Ms I can't live without them.
stevenvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:55 AM   #7
Smoker06
Herf God

Not me. I never talk about what I bought online to my local guy. I think that's a slap in the face. I will occasionally share a Cuban with him. I'm pretty sure he's figured out that I get them from somewhere other than his store.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:04 AM   #8
Poohdvm
Club Member

I never talk about my on line orders with my local guy. Sometimes he will ask me questions which I answer truthfully. They know I by cigars on line but I also buy a lot of singles from them. We have a 33% AR tax on retail price of cigars and a local sales tax on top of that. As a retailor I understand he has to mark them up to make money. You won't stay in business long selling product for what you paid for it. Our local store is great, their markup is reasonable and they always get hard to find smokes.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:32 AM   #9
Paraphen

I could see, perhaps, going into a B&M to check out a brand you've never tried, because you could pick up a box of them real cheap online and want to know what you'd be getting, but I don't know why, having already bought the cigars, you'd want to go look at one. Are you going to decided to unbuy them, after examining them at the local store? I mean, when you're going to the store, to find out if the proprieter stocks something you just purchased elsewhere, solely so you can tell him you already bought some, not from him, you're being an ass. That's it. You're not being a rude customer, you're not a customer at all, you're just an ass.
Paraphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:40 AM   #10
dschoemaker
Starting Member

Always but a few sticks from the local B&M. Definatley want to keep them in business. Alternate place to go smoke. Never would mention getting sticks off the internet to em.

Dave
dschoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote