Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 02-04-2006, 12:57 AM   #1
cfheater

Foam

If you have a humidifier with the green "florist " foam or have a hunk in your humidor it works best if you let it sit in distilled water for a few hours until it is really heavy. I found out the hard way as I kept checking mine and it was always dry.
cfheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 03:16 AM   #2
tchapchap
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Huh?

Sorry Clint, I'm missing something apparently. How does this control humidity?

(___|CW|_______))))~~~~

(unauthorized use of signature prohibited )
tchapchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 03:57 AM   #3
tonycsmoke
Club Member

Foam bad - beads good
Old 02-04-2006, 04:12 AM   #4
carnellm

The florest foam will work, but you do have to watch it. The foam also just keeps the air moist - not a specific humidity. So, you risk making things to humid.

Agreed that the beads are much easier. They will regulate humidity, not just keep things humid.

But, especially for large installations, the foam does work.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 02-04-2006, 04:57 AM   #5
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Re: Foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfheater
it works best if you let it sit in distilled water for a few hours until it is really heavy.
That's exactly what you don't want to do. If the foam with 50/50 is saturated, it cannot absorb water as the RH rises. In essence, all you have is a dish of water in your humi. The foam should never be saturated,

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:00 AM   #6
cfheater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchapchap
Huh?

Sorry Clint, I'm missing something apparently. How does this control humidity?
I'll try to explain a little further:
I was stating that the florist foam retains water really well and if used in a humidor it will provide extra humidity or with new humidors as they are dry when purchased. Therefore a piece of this foam acts as an excellent water retention device to quickly bring up the humidity level. Many individual have asked recently about wiping down the inside of new humidors. I believe that this foam method may be a better alternative. I am not trying to lay claim to the idea as I have heard about this before. Many individuals use distilled water or 50/50 solution. I'm letting it be known that I have no idea what the name of this green foam is hence the title "foam" for this thread.
I had to run out this morning and realize now that the topic may have sounded odd.

Does this clarify everything?
cfheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:33 PM   #7
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
I'm letting it be known that I have no idea what the name of this green foam is hence the title "foam" for this thread.
It's florist foam, the same thing that the florist uses to keep flowers fresh. It's also used in almost every humidor's credo. If all you are trying to do is season a humidor, just use a dish of distilled water. It's a lot easier.

Old 02-04-2006, 04:52 PM   #8
LabRatGDI
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G
Quote:
I'm letting it be known that I have no idea what the name of this green foam is hence the title "foam" for this thread.
It's florist foam, the same thing that the florist uses to keep flowers fresh. It's also used in almost every humidor's credo. If all you are trying to do is season a humidor, just use a dish of distilled water. It's a lot easier.
Actually the foam would probably do a better job getting a box seasoned since it has much more surface area for evaporation than just a dish of water has.
I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. -- Benjamin Franklin
LabRatGDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #9
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRatGDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G
Quote:
Actually the foam would probably do a better job getting a box seasoned since it has much more surface area for evaporation than just a dish of water has.
I guess it depends on the size of the foam block vs the size of the dish.

Old 02-04-2006, 05:05 PM   #10
LabRatGDI
Herf God

Oh, so now size does matter!.

I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. -- Benjamin Franklin
LabRatGDI is offline   Reply With Quote