Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-2006, 07:08 AM   #1
Moonpie

Flying Dog brews

Our sleepy little town in rural Alabama finally voted to go wet a few months ago. (County is still dry.) There is not really a big 'specialty' or 'microbrew' or 'import' or what I would call 'good' beer market around here, so most of what you find is your typical 'piss in a can'. I can at least resupply a couple of my staples (Guinness Extra Stout & Shiner Bock) but anything new I want to try or anything a little 'off the beaten path' that I want to buy again I have to wait until I go to 'the city'.

Anyhoo, I was in the grocery store the other day and saw something that shocked me . Over in the corner at the end of the cold beer aisle there was a non-refrigerated shelf with a few 'good' beers (like the aformentioned GXS). Lo & behold there were two selections of Flying Dog - Old Scratch Amber & Classic Pale Ale! I was interested, yet I have never had the pleasure; so before purchasing (which will probably be awhile b/c my recent trips to Pensacola & Mobile have my cupboard well stocked) I thought I would get some feedback. So what say you?

The seemingly random presence of this beer here makes me wonder if it is really a wolf in sheep's clothing (maybe a big brewery really makes this, puts some crazy drawings on it to try to sell it to the unsuspecting and it really is 'piss in a can...er, bottle'? )

Any and all input will be appreciated.