Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 02-11-2004, 03:32 PM   #1
althekillr
Club Member

Which green coffee beans to get?

Well thanks to Ted(federlance) he's got my juices flowing now about home roasting my own coffee. I thought I might as well get more beans now since I can get a discount on my first order with my roaster. I may order about 10 -15 lbs. Even though I only go through about a pound a month.

Can you guys tell me what would be some good ones to try? I know everyone's tastes are different, but I needed some direction since there are about 100 different kinds, and I can't tell one from the other. I'm probably gonna get some of that Bolivian Organic that you guys have been raving about, some sumatra( what kind). What else should I get. I'm probably gonna try a bunch of different half pound bags just so I can try many different kinds. Thanks for all the help, and thanks for sending me down the other darkside Home roasted coffee.

Oh, and how do I store the green beans. Can they sit in my cupboard for a year?? or should I just order less beans and order them more frequently so I get fresher green beans? Thanks for helping out a soon to be newbie roaster.
althekillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 04:09 PM   #2
scubadoo97
Club Member

Green beans can last a year or two with little degradation so don't worry about it going bad. Some places offer sampler packs of their most popular coffees. I think a selection of African, Indonesian, and Central/South American is a good place to start. Pick a couple from each area and start roasting
Old 02-11-2004, 04:29 PM   #3
ferdelance
Herf Meister

greeen beans need to be able to breath or they will mold as they are hygromic. but theu sell aged green coffees and to be considered aged it has to be at least 5 YO. anyway i'll send some roasted samples and some freen your way, let you decide what you think you might like. i already got a package going your way might as well make it worth the packing.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:41 PM   #4
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Nice one, Ted!

MD

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 04:58 PM   #5
ferdelance
Herf Meister

if you are getting the sampler bean discount from CBC get the Organic sampler. it is the real deal. tell him that you want one of the samoples to be Bolivian because you have heard such good things about it. notice no funny face/ that is because i am serious, chances are he will see it and do that for you as i already asked about the holdup on your roaster. , tell him you are a friend of ted's and he may drop in the bolivian for you to sample. Russ is real good people. , that is why i do my business with him, sometimes he doesn't carry something a broker sends me and i will try to get him to get it like the Indian Peaberry, and he spends his money on something wiser and lets Tom at Sweet Marias handle it as it is more mundane, he likes tio get stuff no one else can that is superb as well as rare and at great prices. we disagree on the Rosto though, he hates them, i love them , go figure.
anyway i still will send some green not freen bean your way, you will get used to my great tyoing and total lack of editing and proofreading