Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 05-16-2006, 11:19 AM   #11
Black Plague
Herf Meister

You'd think, with all the laws revolving around liquor in this country and abroad, that a rum made from anything other than sugar cane juice or mollasses would have to label itself as such But even online vendors don't say its flavored, so I dunno.

They might age it in barrels other than bourbon, that might be why, because scubadoo is right...there ain't a rum outside the spiced/flavored category that tastes anything at all like Pyrat.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:59 AM   #12
parshooter
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Plague
...there ain't a rum outside the spiced/flavored category that tastes anything at all like Pyrat.
Ron Zacapa Centenario is similar. Aged and very flavorful. Easy to drink neat There is NO comparing these two rums with Cabana Boy Banana or any of those other "flavored" rums.

#69 of the JLOH
parshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:56 AM   #13
Black Plague
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by parshooter
Quote:
...there ain't a rum outside the spiced/flavored category that tastes anything at all like Pyrat.
Ron Zacapa Centenario is similar. Aged and very flavorful. Easy to drink neat There is NO comparing these two rums with Cabana Boy Banana or any of those other "flavored" rums.
Had Ron Zacapa (and its good )...but I'm talking more about that really strong tart/bitter orangepeel taste. Never seen that in a rum that wasn't flavored.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:32 PM   #14
scubadoo97
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parshooter
Quote:
You are right, there is no comparison. RZ 23 is my favorite rum and I drink them all neat except at this moment I am sipping on some rhum agricole that is just too harsh to drink neat. I consider Pyrat a premium rum but there just seems to be too much orange and spice flavors to be a natural distillation from pure sugar cane or molasses alone. I feel the barrels are the key to the answer. Again anyone know more about the processing of this rum?
Old 06-13-2006, 06:58 AM   #15
jaxgoldenboy
Club Member

Re: Pyrat Rum "Pistol"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Guido
Quote:

It's not for everybody, since some might not enjoy such a strong citrus taste in their rum
I tried this a few weeks ago and didn't like it at all. By it self or as a mixer
Around Christmas I consumed a few minis in the garage with some friends. We tossed the empties in a trash can and the next morning I walked into the garage to be welcomed by the overbearing smell of asscrack.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:44 AM   #16
scubadoo97
Club Member

Re: Pyrat Rum "Pistol"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxgoldenboy
Around Christmas I consumed a few minis in the garage with some friends. We tossed the empties in a trash can and the next morning I walked into the garage to be welcomed by the overbearing smell of asscrack.