Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Old 05-31-2004, 01:26 AM   #1
sucol
Club Member

Syracuse Upsets Johns Hopkins -

And plays for the National Championship in Lacrosse today against Navy. I saw Navy and Syracuse (my alma mater) play last weekend in the quarterfinals against Cornell and Georgetown respectively. It should be a great game.

One thing about the Naval Academy - not one of their players yelled, took a cheap shot, argued with an official, abused their equipment - a quality group of young men.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:39 AM   #2
sucol
Club Member

And now has won another National title ... perhaps lacrosse is still a rgional sport ...
Old 06-01-2004, 06:27 AM   #3
sprint_67
Club Member

I actually watched most of the game yesterday Chris. Down here in Texas we don't get to see much of it on TV but I really enjoyed it. It was a great game (or is it match).

You could defintely stay in shape playing it that's for sure.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:40 AM   #4
moob
Herf Meister

I thought on Saturday SU played about as pefect a game as they could against the evil empire. But Monday's game - wow! I don't think I've ever seen so much action, excitement, drama in a championship game. The difference was the goalies. When Navy's man went out they began to slip. But SUs Pfieffer was a flippin wall! He stopped several shots from just a few yards out that I thought for sure would go in.

Dan Harris for Navy is one of my former astronomy students. He had a nice game. He is a quality person. He's disciplined but a little bit on the wild side. Probably perfect for the academy. I hadn't seen him play since we lost to West Genesee (which was mentioned about ten times on the championship broadcast - but they do have a program of excellence without peer) in a sectional championship game. I think this was the first finals were I thought that maybe losing to these guys (Navy) might not be so bad!

Just a fantastic weekend for LAX. Not to mention, LeMoyne also winning. Which makes Syracuse the official lacrosse capital of the universe!
Old 06-01-2004, 02:18 PM   #5
sucol
Club Member

I could have stomached a loss to Navy ... but Hopkins ... NO!
Old 06-03-2004, 09:59 AM   #6
moob
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucol
I could have stomached a loss to Navy ... but Hopkins ... NO!
someone called in WAER and said "The streak is still alive, 22 straight trips to the final four for SU, 0 and 17 for Johns Hopkins."